The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
squirrelbaby.jpg

Gah! I don't know what to do now, so for now I'm doing nothing and waiting for the parents to recover him. I found him while I was outside with my dog in our backyard. We went so she could have a messy treat, and I heard this horrible screeching. Nearly blood curdling mini screams. I thought it was a bird but I couldn't tell for sure since it was so dark, then I thought it was a rat. Poor kid was covered in fire ants and they were biting the bujunkadunk out of him. I picked them off, put him in an empty ten gallon, and set him back under the tree where he now sleeps (as seen in pic). I dunno, fingers crossed for the little guy.

Part of me says it would be way awesome to raise a squirrel, while another part doesn't want the hassle :zz: I hope mom and dad just take them back. This family of squirrels have lived in our backyard for years. Right now they have some juvies who can be found daily playing with the dogs stuffies in our backyard. They're so cute :wub: But still... :blink: Take your kid back.

:wub: He is adorable. Poor little thing. I found a baby squirrel 3 years ago. It was crossing the road, nearly got hit by a car. I stood there shouting and pointing him out, so everyone drove around him. When I crossed the road, he jumped up at me, and snuggled into my neck. :wub: Only problem was, I was pushing a twin pram with my 2 year old son and 4 month old daughter, so it was a struggle. Got him home, he was so tiny. Fed him a bit, hoping his mom would save him (they came from the abandoned house behind us) but she never came. He called and cried all the time. I called the RSPCA who sent a guy out. He said he was still pretty young to be away from his mom, and he'd take him to a sanctuary where his mate looked after hurt and abandoned squirrels. :) Even though I only had him a few hours, I missed him so much. He was really cute, but with small kids (my other son was only 4), I didn't have the time.

Good luck and hope he makes it. :good:

:D

awww, A&C, I totally hear ya, I can imagine it's easy to fall in love. I remember once jokingly mentioning how I'd love a baby squirrel right here on TFF years ago.

I've gone out and peeked at him with a flashlight a few times. He's still breathing. He's sleeping and being still enough that hopefully none of the neighborhood cats will find him. Tomorrow I'll call around and try to find someone to take him. I've looked at pics and I guesstimate that he's about three weeks old.

i would bring him inside at night mate that way he is safe he looks like he needs a warm person to cuddle

It would almost certainly die soon without heat protection from the family :/ and being fed constantly.

Hope all works out well. Hand-rearing baby squirrels are not easy to raise - at least the first few weeks. And most carry fleas and other nasties ! so be ware.

Good luck :good:

If it's anything like most other animals now the baby has your scent on it the mother wont be interested so keep him warm and find him someone to bring him upbless he's so cute post him I'll look after him!

aw thats cute, it doesn't look like a squirrel. looks like a dog.

It was gone this morning, guys! Thank God! :wub:

The last time I peeked was at 4 am, by then I was getting nervous but I assume they came for him early in the morning. yay, what a trip,I'd never seen a baby squirrel before :look: He was the cutest little thing and I sooo wanted to pick him up but I never came in physical contact with him (aside from ant picking) due to West Nile paranoia :look:

my grandfather had a pet squirrel once! when he got home from work hed go out on the back porch and whistle for the squirrel, every single time he whistled the squirrel would come.
I had a pet robin once, kept him for a few months, then he could fly so i let him go.
To bad you let him go. but the again squirrels can be pests lol

Hiya Wuv!! ;) -

Been a long while eh? :wub:

Cute little critter you found yourself, glad it got back to it's nest okay.

Hows Tuesday?

:* *kisses*

Silver

Hey,howdy, hey Ms.Silver ;) Good to see ya online!

Tuesday is great, so big. She just started second grade. Cursive writing this year,practically full grown. How are your kiddos doing? :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back