Look at this cutie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
one of my snails from my snail jar... look at his face! He is sorta cross-eyed haha

20200711_083617.jpg
snail.jpg

I'm not normally a fan of snails, but that one looks pretty awesome, I have to admit. Are they actually eyes? I thought they were antenna thingies.. (completely know nothing about snails haha)

I'm not normally a fan of snails, but that one looks pretty awesome, I have to admit. Are they actually eyes? I thought they were antenna thingies.. (completely know nothing about snails haha)
The dots below the antenna are indeed its eyes, yes!

I like my ramshorn snails when they aren't eating my plants :p I've got a 1 gallon jar heavily planted, unfiltered, unheated, just for a colony of ramshorn snails.

The dots below the antenna are indeed its eyes, yes!

I like my ramshorn snails when they aren't eating my plants :p I've got a 1 gallon jar heavily planted, unfiltered, unheated, just for a colony of ramshorn snails.

so whats the black in the antennas? like a deco? or for wooing the ladies?

I bet they're happy in there! all you can eat buffet

so whats the black in the antennas? like a deco? or for wooing the ladies?

I bet they're happy in there! all you can eat buffet
I think just natural pigment

This is their home. I started with 4 ramshorns and 1 liver elimia.
Now got over 100 ramshorns in there. Still one elimia, they need a partner and im waiting to find some more (native river snail here).

20200711_090415.jpg

He actually does look cute. Who knew a snail could be cute?
How big is your jar? I would love to try making my own. Do you ever have to do water changes, or do the plants do that for you? Could you also do the same thing with shrimp?

How big is your jar? I would love to try making my own. Do you ever have to do water changes, or do the plants do that for you? Could you also do the same thing with shrimp?
I think her jar is 0.5g or 1g.

They are really easy to make,

I would suggest doing a small 30% water change every week. Snails don’t produce that much poop, but you can never be to careful.

You could do it with shrimp and snails. Contrary to popular belief, cherry shrimp can be kept in non-heated water. They prefer temperatures ranging from 56F - 86F.

I would suggest doing a small 30% water change every week. Snails don’t produce that much poop, but you can never be to careful.

You could do it with shrimp and snails. Contrary to popular belief, cherry shrimp can be kept in non-heated water. They prefer temperatures ranging from 56F - 86F.
1 gallon pickle jar

I dont do much for water changes on the snail jar, only once a month. Its heavily planted with Salvinia and hornwort.

You could do cherry shrimp in a 1 gallon jar. I'd opt for just males though to keep it from overpopulating. And do 10% water changes a week with shrimp. Just because they're more delicate, but also cant handle huge changes either.

You can take substrate and water from an established tank to instantly cycle it too.

1 gallon pickle jar

I dont do much for water changes on the snail jar, only once a month. Its heavily planted with Salvinia and hornwort.

You could do cherry shrimp in a 1 gallon jar. I'd opt for just males though to keep it from overpopulating. And do 10% water changes a week with shrimp. Just because they're more delicate, but also cant handle huge changes either.

You can take substrate and water from an established tank to instantly cycle it too.
Boom! I’m good! ;) :lol:

1 gallon pickle jar

Thank you, both of you! I think I'm going to have to try that. I even have the perfect place to put a jar or two. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back