Longnose/Knob Nose Whiptail Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Deezy7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know much about these guys? I want to know everything, theres not much about them online.

He's name is PINO!
Snapchat-464464027.jpg

Wow they look nice I really like whip tails a very under rated fish IMO. There isn’t loads to say about them some species are quite demanding with water quality and need it on the soft side but others are a bit more flexible. Planet Catfish is probably your best resource for these.

Is it just the one you have? They are quite good at breeding in tanks If you get a Male and a female together.

Wills

Some information for you. Search under Twig catfish.

Twig and whip tail catfish are totally different. This one is Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus. Farlowella are a totally different species that are harder to keep

@Wills Finally someone who speaks my language! I love whip tails, theyre definitely my favourite catfish. I love the prehistoric look that they have. But yes that's what I have.

This on is 20cms, so definitely not a twig catfish.

How would you know which is male or female though?

It isn't a Farlowella species, it's Rhineloricaria or Loricaria. We call them royal whiptails here and they don't do well in tanks with big cichlids. They occur in soft acid water and live happily in water with a GH under 150ppm and a pH under 7.6. Males get bristles on the side of the face, nose and edge of pectoral fins.

Definitely not a farlow, I keep those though and adore them.

Haven't gone into the whiptails myself though, but theyre a very handsome fish.

@Colin_T definitely not a Royal Whip Tail - i saw at the LFS both long nose and royal ones and theyre bodys are shorter and the long nose has a long nose (duh)

Royal grow max 15cm
This one grows 20-25cms

I'm assumjng the size and if my cichlids don't bother him they'll be fine together?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-003018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201030-003018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20201029_221251.jpg
    20201029_221251.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 118
Given the taller body and good size, I want to say yours is Sturisomatichthys aureus

A Relative of the royal farlowellas (sturisoma family)

I keep Farlowella Vittata and Farlowella Platorynchus
20201024_182159.jpg
20200929_210240.jpg

These fish look rather delicate to me, but never seen or heard of them before. Learning something new every day is what I am here for.

These fish look rather delicate to me, but never seen or heard of them before. Learning something new every day is what I am here for.
The Farlowella twigs are delicate and can be difficult to keep (many people cant keep them alive more than a few months), but the sturisoma group are very hardy fish, much easier to keep and are pretty good underrated fish

What fish do you have them in with? I can see the Oscar and the GT which I think could be ok - they are unlikely to get eaten because of how long and spiney they are but they could take a swipe at them. I had mine in with Severums, Nicaraguans, Chocolate and Geophagus, they were totally ignored and mine got to about 7 years old (but that was in hard water which is not recommended).

Sexining them is easier when there are two side by side - as mentioned above the males have bushy cheeks and the females are broader between the pectoral fins and ususally a bit bigger.

Wills

Looking from the photos @Wills can you decipher if its a male or female?
I currently am housing them with oscars and GT and a chinese siamese sucker.. (hehe)

Wow i thought i finally found what species the fish was but I'm as confused now thanks @NCaquatics but i'm pre sure it's not the one you mentioned, the one I have is thicker and bigger in the body rather than looking like a twig but who knows! Maybe you're right? I'll post more photos and videos.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back