Long time no see - Rio 125 low tech

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StandbySetting

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all

It's certainly been a while, a lot has happened in my life during my various times away from the forums, good to see a few friendly faces are still knocking around. For those of you that have been here since before 2010 you may remember me as Truck, thankfully for you I've grown up a lot since then, bought a house and got a job at least! 😂

My partner and I moved into our first home together this year and I've been badgering her for a new tank ever since. One impulse buy later and a grumpy conversation and my Rio 125 is setup and running. I've always been a big fan of.planted aquaria, kept everything in-between, cold water, tropical, salt you name it but I always gravitate back towards planted tanks. I've tried to keep this setup sensible and cheap to get my girlfriend on board, hence no external filtration and lily pipes yet... Such is life, fish choices will be a bit more beginner too in the hope I can get her hooked!

Run down:
Juwel Rio 125
2x LED day strips, one is blacked out though as it's too intense.
Upgraded internal filter to 1000lph
Planting is fairly easy a mixture of Crypts, Hygrophila polysperma, Rotala, Vallis, Anubias, Mosses etc.
Normally I'd load the tank with plants bit keeping things to a tighter budget I've been a bit more sparse and will play the long game whilst things settle in.
Inhabitants so far are 4 Platies, I am using the silent cycle method, water parameters are looking good, plants doing most of the filtration for me at the moment.

Here goes the pics, excuse the crappy phone photos, I don't have a big old DSLR any more.... Any questions feel free to ask!

From empty to now is about 10 days
, as you can see, plenty of growth! The rock was there to sink the wood.

Attachments

• PXL_20211009_165953347.jpg
    PXL_20211009_165953347.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20211014_170002701.jpg
    PXL_20211014_170002701.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-20211024-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20211024-WA0002.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 98
Hi all
Just a small update, I have added 6 flame tetras, these guys have coloured up real nice since leaving the shop, beautiful red and lilac hues.

Bit of a prune and some replanting also, having a small dusting of diatoms but other than that algae free at the moment.

Not sure what to add next, I would like some bottom dwellers but Corydoras in the UK are horrifically expensive at the moment!

Attachments

• PXL_20211103_165558189.jpg
    PXL_20211103_165558189.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 73
Looking really good! What’s the reddish sword plant at the front? Or is it a type of crypt?

Have you thought about getting some moss on the wood?

Wills

Thanks man, the plants at the front are cryptocoryne wendtii brown, I do have some moss growing on the rock, I am using liquid carbon though and most mosses don't tolerate it very well.

Added a pair of Bolivian rams today and 12 neon tetras, that's me about fully stocked, may add a few more Cory's but I want to see how these guys get on first.

Excuse the poor quality phone photos, I don't have access to a DSLR any more

Attachments

• PXL_20211128_175530203.jpg
    PXL_20211128_175530203.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20211128_175442090.jpg
    PXL_20211128_175442090.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 71
Hi all

It's certainly been a while, a lot has happened in my life during my various times away from the forums, good to see a few friendly faces are still knocking around. For those of you that have been here since before 2010 you may remember me as Truck, thankfully for you I've grown up a lot since then, bought a house and got a job at least! 😂

My partner and I moved into our first home together this year and I've been badgering her for a new tank ever since. One impulse buy later and a grumpy conversation and my Rio 125 is setup and running. I've always been a big fan of.planted aquaria, kept everything in-between, cold water, tropical, salt you name it but I always gravitate back towards planted tanks. I've tried to keep this setup sensible and cheap to get my girlfriend on board, hence no external filtration and lily pipes yet... Such is life, fish choices will be a bit more beginner too in the hope I can get her hooked!

Run down:
Juwel Rio 125
2x LED day strips, one is blacked out though as it's too intense.
Upgraded internal filter to 1000lph
Planting is fairly easy a mixture of Crypts, Hygrophila polysperma, Rotala, Vallis, Anubias, Mosses etc.
Normally I'd load the tank with plants bit keeping things to a tighter budget I've been a bit more sparse and will play the long game whilst things settle in.
Inhabitants so far are 4 Platies, I am using the silent cycle method, water parameters are looking good, plants doing most of the filtration for me at the moment.

Here goes the pics, excuse the crappy phone photos, I don't have a big old DSLR any more.... Any questions feel free to ask!

From empty to now is about 10 days
, as you can see, plenty of growth! The rock was there to sink the wood.
Wow, those are awesome photos! What cam did you use? My iPad pics generally suck.

I’m assuming that’s a cell phone? Beats my iPad. Did the flash bother the fish? This iPad doesn’t even have one.

Yeah, not sure where you're based but if you're in the states I don't know if the Google Pixel is on sale over there, in the grand scheme the camera is very good, but fish have always been difficult to take photos of. I use no flash, just tank lights and a dark room

I really like the no flash part! will try with darkened room & tank lights only. Thanks!

Beautiful! I can’t get photos like that! Now. I‘m gonna learn how.

Looking good! Had some really nice growth in a pretty short amount of time. Loving the 'scape and some nice fish choices.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back