Long post, new here...

srg75

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new hear and have went through a ton of posts, but have yet to post myself. I have read a lot of valuble information. I have been into the hobby for over a year and a half now.

It all started when my best friend purchased a 10 Gallon Top Fin for me at Christmas. From there I was hooked. I had the 10 GAL near a window and decided to add real plants and convert it to a mostly planted aquarium. I also bought a replacement light to help.

I upgraded to a 15 Gal Eclipse. Cycled that tank and moved the fish over to that tank. All was ok with the 10 Gallon before I moved the fish. I had purchased a couple mollies and 2 sword tails. One sword tail 'commited suicided' by launching from the tank onto the floor one day while I was not home. Top Fin Aqaurims I see have a lot of openings on the hood. My mollies started going nuts in the 10 Gallon - had about 30 fry (that lived). That was also one reason I upgraded and the 10 Gal was getting quite a but of light.

To make a long story short, I moved to a larger apartment and purchased a 29 Gal Top Fin. I also purchased an undergravel filter.

In the 29 Gal I house:
2 bala sharks 1 1/2 inch - 1 2"
1 Senegalus Bichir
2 Black Banded Leporinus

15 Gal at the moment houses:
2 Rapheal Catfish (small at the moment)
Mollies (mostly fry or very young)
3 Black Neons
2 fish found in bags after I purchased 2 other fish (small fish)
and the winner------and ID shark which I don't know what the hell to do with that thing. I think it was accidentally confused with another member I pointed out in the tank - it took me awhile to indentify it. I don't think it will survive. It likes to beat the daylights out of itself and play dead. (not mattering where I put it) I thought maybe I could put an ad in the paper and give it away, or perhaps to a local aquarium around here if it survives and gets large.

10 Gal is now a QT tank and I also use it to house rosies for bait when needed.

I am actually pretty proud of all my Mollies. All the Mollies I have at this point I have raised from 2 parents that are no longer with me. (quite a problem when I moved for them) Some are marbled, some all white, the only male I seem to have at this point is all black. A very nice group. I think the older mollies tend to keep their own population down. Out of all the fish the Mollies seem to have the most personality.

At the time I feel my 15 Gallon is overstocked, but most all are the very small fry. But they will grow. By the way, I think all my fry are female. Strange.
I separated the male for a time and they are now all pregant (the 4 that are old enough) But I feel if I keep him separated long enough they will finally stop!

I plan on weaning my Bichir from live fish, and maybe just give him some once in awhile, so I can move a lot of the Mollies to the QT tank and I'll be ok.
I figure my Bichir could go through quite a few if I needed him too.

I change water in my tanks once a week, and also clean the gravel with a Python Gravel cleaner. Currently I use Aquarium Pharmacuticles test kit. I was wondering where I could get a really good one. I can only test for Nitrite no Nitrate. The kits I have researched don't seem to include testing for Nitrate.
I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction?

One other thing. Not doing as much research as I should have I now realize what jumpers I have in my 29Gal. Every one of them. Do I need to put bricks on the cover? I moved the Black Branded L's to the 15 Gal for a week before I bought the Bichir and the others because although the 29 seemed to have been cycled, I was worried. One must have jumped 3 feet across the room when I had it in the net. I can't imagine when they get larger.

I have also thought about this:

5 fish that can possible get to be at least 12" in a 29 Gal tank. Ummm. No way. If I weren't in an apartment and had my own house I wouldn't worry so much, as I would get another larger tank, ditch the 10 gal and use the 15 for QT.
I hope these fish take awhile to grow. I live on the coast so I think I could find good homes for them. (not in the sea!) but a lot of people have aquariums around here it seems. Some very, very large.

Anyway, there is my introduction and a little history on my family here.

-Stephanie

srg75 said:
....The kits I have researched don't seem to include testing for Nitrate.
I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction?...
Hi Stephanie :hi:

To answer one of you questions... API also sells the nitrate tester separately. Check around... you should find it.

As for the jumpers... Jumping fish IME means they're not happy with the water quality. I'm not familiar with the fish you mentioned, so it could be something else. :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back