Long Island Aquarium resets its 20,000 gallon reef.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I watched..still not sure why the original reef was torn apart. We all know..those pests will return from new rocks added. More or less. it was one of the nicest reefs on the planet- only those reefs done outdoors in tropical climates were more real. Now,what do I think? I think the owner just got tired of incremental changes year after year. Impatience set in and the desire for the excitement of a new Christmas in summer feeling. My plant tank is going on 4 years now. I think to myself if I would just go with pruning or one day say I want a new and better ecosystem? So,I am not apart from everybody else and "newitis".

I watched..still not sure why the original reef was torn apart. We all know..those pests will return from new rocks added. More or less. it was one of the nicest reefs on the planet- only those reefs done outdoors in tropical climates were more real. Now,what do I think? I think the owner just got tired of incremental changes year after year. Impatience set in and the desire for the excitement of a new Christmas in summer feeling. My plant tank is going on 4 years now. I think to myself if I would just go with pruning or one day say I want a new and better ecosystem? So,I am not apart from everybody else and "newitis".

Why do you always pick on everyone on YT that does something? I mean come on. There are better things to do then to sit here and name every discus abuser and every bad planter and apparently now this guy that redid his reef tank? He began building that house in 2006 and planned it around his aquarium. Meaning somewhere around 2010 was when he had his house and tank ready plus or minus a few years (most likely plus). It is 2022 now so its been idk 10-11 years since any big change (when he built it). So when you have been staring at something for 10 years its still very cool but it probably could use a rescape... He probably just wanted something new because he has had that same set up for 10+ years.... I do not see any reason why he cant. Obviously he takes very good care of his fish with all the effort he puts in. I wish him the best of luck in his endeavours to make it better! And it looks like he did a really good job! Its like looking into a real reef.

"Picking" ? I use 50 years of fish keeping for newbys to learn from and the vids help explain why I say what I say. Second- you are not even on topic. This isnt somebody's home,Its a public aquarium!
The problem with almost all aquarium boards is,nobody ever wants to be serious. Its like keep it super light as if the fish are toys or decorations. Especially on American boards. TFF has been an exception.
Now,this reef tank was really world renowned and yet the owner/curator just itched to tear it down and start over. That's like what too many in the hobby do too often. IMO.

Wait until my next plant post- I think now that constant dosing of plant aquariums is bad for the fish. Great for plants..but shortens fish life.
Fun! :lol:

"Picking" ? I use 50 years of fish keeping for newbys to learn from and the vids help explain why I say what I say. Second- you are not even on topic. This isnt somebody's home,Its a public aquarium!
The problem with almost all aquarium boards is,nobody ever wants to be serious. Its like keep it super light as if the fish are toys or decorations. Especially on American boards. TFF has been an exception.
Now,this reef tank was really world renowned and yet the owner/curator just itched to tear it down and start over. That's like what too many in the hobby do too often. IMO.
No, Im pretty sure thats Bill Wann, correct? The guy that built a 20,000 gallon aquarium in his home

Wait until my next plant post- I think now that constant dosing of plant aquariums is bad for the fish. Great for plants..but shortens fish life.
Fun! :lol:
I think that all depends on what type of fert it is and how much you use

OHHHHHHHH.... I just saw the beginning of the vid (I skipped the first time I saw it) and realized it is the public aquarium... The last thread about a really large tank you made though was about Bill Wann and his home 20,000 gallon aquarium, so I just assumed you posted an update on him because it was 20,000 gallons...

Its not the he's wrong..my point is. the fun is gone if your tank is just set to only need the same normal maintenance and ever a curator gets itchy to start new!
Its going to quite a awhile before that looks established.

Its not the he's wrong..my point is. the fun is gone if your tank is just set to only need the same normal maintenance and ever a curator gets itchy to start new!
Its going to quite a awhile before that looks established.
You just confused me. Your words got all mixed up up in my home lol

I really have cut down on the iron and potassium in the planted Rainbowfish aquarium. The plants look fine. But I have noticed over the years now,that some fish get afflicted with some kind of illness that causes them to lose their balance- to the point they swim sideways..then die after a day of that. It is really a fast death from healthy in 24-48 hours. I wonder if the supplements are the cause?
Anybody else?

Ok,I increased the size of the print. That should make the difference with no dropped letters.
My big TV went out and so I use one about half the size to post and read.
I'm going to miss that big old (2007) Samsung. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back