Long Finned Bn Plecs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emma12321

fish nerd
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if female longfinned bristlenose plecs tend to get any bristles? I have loads of normal bristlenoses and the females just have the odd couple of bristles or none at all.

I have got 3 young long fins all a similar size 2 browns which came from the same place and an albino which was from a shop. The albino has no bristles at all but is ever so slightly smaller, the 2 browns one has a wider looking body than the other and i thought i had a pair at first but both are growing bristles now. Do females tend to grow bristles or am i looking at 2 males ?

Or is it totally random like common bn plecs where some females have none and other have quite a few?

Thanks

Emma

Females will develops small bristles but only 3-4 mm long, with long fins they get much longer so i guess in females their be longer as well.
I've not kept them though.

Hi,

I was just wondering if female longfinned bristlenose plecs tend to get any bristles? I have loads of normal bristlenoses and the females just have the odd couple of bristles or none at all.

I have got 3 young long fins all a similar size 2 browns which came from the same place and an albino which was from a shop. The albino has no bristles at all but is ever so slightly smaller, the 2 browns one has a wider looking body than the other and i thought i had a pair at first but both are growing bristles now. Do females tend to grow bristles or am i looking at 2 males ?

Or is it totally random like common bn plecs where some females have none and other have quite a few?

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma

I have a group of 7 longfins. I have a couple of females with very small amount of bristles on there top lip, but most of the girls don't have any. My males bristles tended to ''branch'' quite early.

Do the bristlie ones have bristles going up the nose or just around the top lip?

A pic would help if possible, mine are quite camera shy so I know how hard it can be to get a decent pic.

Hayley :)

Most reactions

trending

Back