Long Exposure Project

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well went and took some photos tonight. I was met with little success for the time and effort I put into it mainly do to the cold night and equipment not performing as it should, but for a first attempt it shows promise. I'll leave you guys to figure out what I did, but I don't think it will be too hard ;) .

P1230125.jpg

P1230127.jpg

light on string attached to that wood?

I have been a very big fan of long exposures, both of the sky and flowing water, for years. I teach these techniques in my nature photography workshops, and time and again they prove to be the most popular learning experiences.

There's some really nice work in this thread.
good.gif

Mikaila, once you get into the world of DSLRs, you can get a remote shutter release, use the bulb setting, and take some truly long exposures. Some of my Aurora borealis images are 3-5 minute exposures. Here's a long exposure self portrait I did last fall along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

self-portrait.jpg

Absolutely amazing.

Moochy, would love to have seen you running around like a loon. :lol:

Mikaila, the last 2 pics are stunning, you shouldn't be too disheartened, i would be over the moon with them. :good:

light on a remote controlled boat ?

CORRECT! :D I have quite a few RC boats when I was a kid. Lost interest in them when I bought my kayak. Only 2 still work and only one of those is fast enough. Attached an LED to the top and one on each side. Even with the water as flat as it was the camera had trouble picking up the disturbances the boat caused on the water as long as I stayed away from the reflections(which was something I wasn't sure about). The technical issue I should of saw coming, had not charged the batteries in over a year maybe two even. In hindsight the signs were there and I should of noticed them when I tested the boat at home. I failed to realize the battery was shot till I had the boat on the water. I had charged it a few days before and it struggled to give me 2-5mph for 10 minuets before dying completely. I'm hoping to give it another shot tonight if the weather is as forecasted. It should work better on a fresh charge, I doubt it will be able to reach its 15mph top speed but thats probably too fast anyway.

2nd attempt. It went well for the most part. Although right at the best photo time (10 minuets after sundown), I got cocky with my driving and hit the logs in the mid-ground of the photo. Completely flipped the boat upside-down and I sat there staring at it for 20 minuets till (luckily) the only boaters on the lake came back into dock and grabbed it for me. I found a second spot a little down the shore I want to try next time. Figured not to push my luck too far. Took some pics but they are all much darker then my liking since it got so late. Not as good as my first attempt but its our mistakes that make us better right? :lol:

P1230159.jpg

P1230163.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back