Lonely rainbow shark?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I have the day off so went to some fish stores today, I want a rainbow shark for my barb tank. One store had 3 small rainbows with a 2-3" Peacock Cichlid in a ~10 gallon tank. I felt so sorry for the rainbows, one was quite beat up.

Don't understand these stores....

I have the day off so went to some fish stores today, I want a rainbow shark for my barb tank. One store had 3 small rainbows with a 2-3" Peacock Cichlid in a ~10 gallon tank. I felt so sorry for the rainbows, one was quite beat up.

Don't understand these stores....
I donā€™t either- but if we didnā€™t want them as pets they wouldnā€™t be in those little tiny tanks....

If the sharks outgrown its tank and been moved to a bigger tank then why canā€™t itā€™s original tank mates be moved into the bigger tank as well?
Or has it outgrown its original tank mates?
Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick completely?

If the sharks outgrown its tank and been moved to a bigger tank then why canā€™t itā€™s original tank mates be moved into the bigger tank as well?
Or has it outgrown its original tank mates?
Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick completely?
Hello! Good question... I have a biorb that the 3 guppies and 5 tetras are in and they look stunning in it and doing really well. Iā€™m scared if I put them all back together they wonā€™t get on. Itā€™s stupid I know but I only wanted a gold fish 12 months ago and here I am with 2 big tanks and 1 massive one with only 1 fish! The guppies have bright red tails so they got chased so .... out moved Rosie.

I donā€™t either- but if we didnā€™t want them as pets they wouldnā€™t be in those little tiny tanks....
I should have been more clear, the store was Pet Supplies Plus, an economy pet store. My local Mom&Pop fish store had a bunch of rainbows in their own 20 gallon tank but they were under quarantine. Even my local PetCo would not put a rainbow shark with a Peacock Cichlid.

I should have been more clear, the store was Pet Supplies Plus, an economy pet store. My local Mom&Pop fish store had a bunch of rainbows in their own 20 gallon tank but they were under quarantine. Even my local PetCo would not put a rainbow shark with a Peacock Cichlid.
Oh good. So are you going to try and pick a boy or girl or donā€™t you mind?

Oh good. So are you going to try and pick a boy or girl or donā€™t you mind?

I actually didn't think about it, I bought a juvenile one at PetCo and really could not tell the difference. I will assume it's a female. The PetCo employee has not mastered the 2 net method of catching fish, I was lucky to get any rainbow out of the tank :rolleyes:

But she has given her new accomodations 5 stars, she loves hanging out inside this wood piece.
Rainbow.jpg

Last edited:
I actually didn't think about it, I bought a juvenile one at PetCo and really could not tell the difference. I will assume it's a female. The PetCo employee has not mastered the 2 net method of catching fish, I was lucky to get any rainbow out of the tank :rolleyes:

But she has given her new accomodations 5 stars, she loves hanging out inside this wood piece.
View attachment 128853
Ahhhh look at her! I couldnā€™t tell what sex I had until about 8 months then she suddenly became round and itā€™s about the only telling sign! Tank looks awesome btw!

Hi guys - I have a rainbow shark - Rosie. She used to live with 3 guppies and 5 rummy nose tetras until she out grew the tank. She is now in her own much larger tank but she hides all time. She will come out if I turn the lights off but not for very long! Any ideas how I can encourage her out of hiding?
Hello. Curious on how big your rainbow shark has gotten? I am new to this and have a glo shark aka rainbow shark. Had it about 3 weeks now and he seems to be getting along well with the 6 glo tetras and 3 danios. Heā€™s a bottom dweller so heā€™s fine for now but I hear they can get to be about 5-6 inches long. Im sure he will need to be moved once heā€™s much bigger than he is now. He has grown a bit in 3 weeks. Heā€™s just too cute!! Just wondered how big your has gotten.

Attachments

• F3E52197-7563-4829-97B9-19DE26DE4E98.jpeg
    F3E52197-7563-4829-97B9-19DE26DE4E98.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 24
Hello. Curious on how big your rainbow shark has gotten? I am new to this and have a glo shark aka rainbow shark. Had it about 3 weeks now and he seems to be getting along well with the 6 glo tetras and 3 danios. Heā€™s a bottom dweller so heā€™s fine for now but I hear they can get to be about 5-6 inches long. Im sure he will need to be moved once heā€™s much bigger than he is now. He has grown a bit in 3 weeks. Heā€™s just too cute!! Just wondered how big your has gotten.
Hi - thanks for the message I hope you are enjoying the hobby so far - Rosie is now about 5inches long and an amazing feature in my tank - the 75 gallon leaked so I now have a 98 gallon on the go - itā€™s a beast! Rosie lives with an Otto, 10 rummynose tetras and 6 NeĆ³n tetras and no sign of aggression- I do have to dim the lights at feeding time otherwise she doesnā€™t come out! How are you finding the dynamic of your tank?

Wow!! I would love to see a picture of Rosie. How can you tell if it is a male or female? So far it has been a real learning experience for me. Lots to learn and lots of fun. This forum really helps too. So far so good. The 36 gallon tank works great for who all is in there. The shark stays in the bottom a lot. He likes to go inside the house to hide but heā€™s not shy and is very visible throughout the day. He doesnā€™t seem to have a problem being out around the others as he also tends to swim up top and eat from their food as well as his own pellets. He seems a little bigger than when we first got him. He is a lot of fun to watch. Very entertaining. Iā€™m hoping that they will all get along when he is bigger, even with moving them all into a larger tank. Please post a picture, if you can.
šŸ™‚

Hi - thanks for the message I hope you are enjoying the hobby so far - Rosie is now about 5inches long and an amazing feature in my tank - the 75 gallon leaked so I now have a 98 gallon on the go - itā€™s a beast! Rosie lives with an Otto, 10 rummynose tetras and 6 NeĆ³n tetras and no sign of aggression- I do have to dim the lights at feeding time otherwise she doesnā€™t come out! How are you finding the dynamic of your tank?
Wow!! I would love to see a picture of Rosie. How can you tell if it is a male or female? So far it has been a real learning experience for me. Lots to learn and lots of fun. This forum really helps too. So far so good. The 36 gallon tank works great for who all is in there. The shark stays in the bottom a lot. He likes to go inside the house to hide but heā€™s not shy and is very visible throughout the day. He doesnā€™t seem to have a problem being out around the others as he also tends to swim up top and eat from their food as well as his own pellets. He seems a little bigger than when we first got him. He is a lot of fun to watch. Very entertaining. Iā€™m hoping that they will all get along when he is bigger, even with moving them all into a larger tank. Please post a picture, if you can.
šŸ™‚
Thatā€™s great- Rosie is very shy and will only eat off the bottom - I will post a pic as soon as the new light arrives- the old one is a dull and really doesnā€™t do the fish justice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back