Lone Redeye. Leave well enough alone?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Glenn407

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had a few age related losses regarding these guys and the pet stores seldom have them it seems. I would like to bring home a nice batch next time I see them but I am wondering if I should leave well enough alone. For well over a month the solo guy has not once gone after any of his tetra tank mates and not a single fish has one single sign of being nipped at. In fact if anything this solo Redeye swims more in the open than he ever did when I was down to two. The duo used to hide and only slink out to snag some food almost like bandits before seeking their hideout again.

I'm just wondering if adding a bunch of his kin might be a bad idea now that he's been alone.

I'm in the same situation, and have experienced the same as you

I won't be adding more, mine thinks he's one of my Colombian tetras now, lol

They will enjoy their own company but if he is really old then I'd just leave him be.

This question arises periodically. When a group of shoaling fish die from old age (or related issues) and leave one, or two, or three for that matter, you have a couple of options. Add more of the group is one, but if it is a species you no longer want (understandable, move on to something else) the best option is generally to leave it/them where they are. With the understanding that it may not go well, in time. I have had this work with some fish (my Red Phantom Tetras, my Congo Tetras) while with some other species it went bad. My three pencilfish began terrorizing the group of rummynose, nipping tails like mad, so they were euthanized (the pencils). Had no space for them, and they were old. So keep an eye on the lone tetra, hopefully it will work. But if not, remove it fast because this aggressive behaviour can weaken and stress the other fish and cause disease.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back