Lobsters! Oh my!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DannyBoy17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, we have a girl boarding with us from the east coast. Her mom runs a greenhouse over there (my dad runs one here) so she decided to send us 6 lobsters with one of her cutting shiphments!

Ive seen lobsters obviously, but now I want to keep them as pets, so I can eat them when they are big enough :p . I wonder what sized tank a lobster would need? I know itd need some salt, and some current.

Me and my brother are goin to throw a a fence around our pond, then were goin to throw some baby lobsters in. Should make for an great end up of summer meal :thumbs:

:rofl:

Man, Im an idiot.

DB :fish:

You're not the only one with that idea. My boyfriend thinks I should turn my 120 gallon into a tank where we could eat the fish/lobsters. He said, "We could pick one out every month or so when they got big enough and have them for dinner!" :grr: Of course, I told him to get away my MY tank and to never touch it again. I am thinking about taping the doors down so he can't stick his fingers in there.

I can just imagine coming home, him and my dad dropping fishing lines into my tank seeing what they can catch. :rofl:

Raechal said:
I can just imagine coming home, him and my dad dropping fishing lines into my tank seeing what they can catch. :rofl:
AHAHA! Im thinkin about using a large tank as a grow out tank for lake-caught fish. Mmm, good eating all year round! :rolleyes:

DannyBoy17 said:
Raechal said:
AHAHA! Im thinkin about using a large tank as a grow out tank for lake-caught fish. Mmm, good eating all year round! :rolleyes:

My boyfriend wanted to catch our own fish from the lake and put them in our tank as pets. But I was thinking maybe they would have a disease or be unhealthy to put with storebought fish?

My dad makes jokes about fishing for my oscar :|

Raechal said:
My boyfriend wanted to catch our own fish from the lake and put them in our tank as pets. But I was thinking maybe they would have a disease or be unhealthy to put with storebought fish?
It's fine to do that so long as you keep them all in one tank. I did it with my dad many years ago. We'd catch fish in a lil river near the house and keep the smaller ones as pets. They lived a long time but grow big!

Invader675 said:
Raechal said:
It's fine to do that so long as you keep them all in one tank. I did it with my dad many years ago. We'd catch fish in a lil river near the house and keep the smaller ones as pets. They lived a long time but grow big!
So I can catch like 2 fish from the lake and put them in my tank once it has cycled? Along with a baby albino oscar?

I wouldn't know about the oscar. The tank I had was just fish from the river that we found them. I wouldn't mix tropical and cold water fish.
Also when you catch them beware of the hooks hurting their mouths.

Invader675 said:
I wouldn't know about the oscar. The tank I had was just fish from the river that we found them. I wouldn't mix tropical and cold water fish.
Also when you catch them beware of the hooks hurting their mouths.
Hmm yea, you're right. Although our cold water is pretty warm. :dunno: That would be cool if I could catch my own fish. I always wanted to keep some of thise pig fish people use as bait. :p They're cute little buggers. :wub:

I've got some sunfish right now that I think are native.... I didn't catch them, though, they were mixed in with the goldfish at Walmart :dunno:

You definitly need Salt water in that pond and it needs to be large. Lobsters will fight if they are kept in quarters that are to close and they will end up eating your dinner. Your much better off just eating them, Fish on the other hand will be great if you keep em fresh till your ready to eat them, in Florida Oscar is a popular sport fish (and Koi/carp are a great rought fish too)

Most reactions

trending

Back