Lobster With No Claws And No Legs! Pics.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jay2jay99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had two 1inch baby Australian blue lobster in a tank in my room, and they were ok in there together, but one of the lobsters on it's last shed lost seven of it's eight walking legs and one its mouth arms. It's been struggling to move around, dragging himself aroumd by his claws. On saturday I saw the two lobsters fiighting, and of cause the other one is healthy, he pulled the other lobsters last leg off, one of his claws and started throwing him around by his head, I quickly grabbed the good one out and took him back to the lfs to give the other baby a chance. Although now he has trouble standing up, he keeps trying to move and rolling over and I have to get a stick in and put him back upright. I took these pictures to give you an idea, but ....... it gets worse, I looked in on him this morning and since I took these pictures, I don't know how but, he's lost his last claw so he has no legs or claws and is totally immoble, I put some food in this morning and he just squirmed on his back on the floor. I feel so sorry for him! I really feel like putting him out of his misery! Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be a disease? Shall I just leave him and let the legs and claws grow back? Please Help!

DSCN3796.jpg

DSCN3860.jpg

DSCN3861.jpg

DSCN3863.jpg

You shouldnt put two together mate. Sorry for your loss. But i think you should really put him out of his misery. It was most deffinately the other yabbie. For certain. NOT disease. Uthanise him before he starves to death. The other yabbie would have taken the oportunity to kill his tank mate whilst he was shedding. The most vulnerable stage in any crustaceans life.

How big is that tank anyways? It looks far too small for two. They really recquire a species tank.

It's about a four gallon, I know it's quite small but when they got biggerI've got a 40gallon I was gonna put them in. Do you think that's what I should do? No alternatives? What about hand feeding? If I do have to put him out of his misery, what's the quickest and least painful? I don't want to see him suffer!

I really dont think there is another option. I wouldnt think he would hand feed. I think he is in a very bad position.

I would think, (Personal opinion only), that boiling water, Make sure its BOILING, and placing him head first, and submerging his body into the HOT water would be the quickest way.

That sounds horrible but I guess it's the only way, :-( I guess I'll do it when I get in from work.

NO no no no no no

nurse him back to health.

get him in your hand in the water with some food and make sure he picks it up and eats, I have done this with a crab before and he recently molted and is now feeding by himself.

it would be better if you change him onto sand as then the food won't sink into the gravel.

Thanks, I actually was goona try feeding him by hand first, I will deffinatly do it now, glad to know someone else has done it, how long did you have to do it for? I was thinking of putting him in a fish breeding trap, the plastic ones, that way he's nearer the top and I can get to him easier, and he'll be on a flat surface so no food will sink. What do you reckon?

Sounds good to me. As long as he can eat, there's no reason why he shouldn't recover and eventually grown all his limbs back.

The other mean one went straight to the lfs on saturday as soon as I saw him pick on him, I'll keep everyone updated on his progress.

as long as the water still filtered and you may need to relase his solids from the box then i don't see anyreason why not, i think 1 of the net ones would be better as they probable circulate water better.

just leave him with some froozen bloodworm and some shrimp pellets/ crab cuisine. the latter 2 contain lots of calcuim for rebuilding his shell.

mine did it in a about 2 months, i had him on sand so once i saw him eat on his own on the floor i didn't bother hand feeding.

I'll do that, I've got blood worm to feed him, give it a go when I get in. Figures crossed.

Hand feed him....at least your giving him a chance and i heard that lobsters and crabs grow limbs etc back very quick

I tried hand feeding him last night, he took a bit of convincing, a few attemps and a bit of patience but he eventually started feeding! :D Me happy now! He fed this morning too. I put a bit of water from the tank in a shot glass, put in some catfish pellets and left in to dissolve for a while and then sucked it up in a syringe.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DSCN3889.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

DSCN3891.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back