Lobster Molting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishychick77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i came home from school today and just saw a tail sideways in the little hide away thing in my neon orange lobster tank, i was so scared he was dead almost in tears! when i noticed looks a little empty and strange shaped... to find out hes molted and thats his old shell oh thank god hahah.. ive read somewhere that when they molt they eat their old shell as calcium? should i take it out ? or keep it in? he hasnt gone near it at all.

So i came home from school today and just saw a tail sideways in the little hide away thing in my neon orange lobster tank, i was so scared he was dead almost in tears! when i noticed looks a little empty and strange shaped... to find out hes molted and thats his old shell oh thank god hahah.. ive read somewhere that when they molt they eat their old shell as calcium? should i take it out ? or keep it in? he hasnt gone near it at all.

I always leave my shrimp molt in the tank. I see my shrimp pick at the skin. So no need to remove it unless you want to.

I woukld leave it in my blue ones always eat thiers... except for the claws they seem to be to tuff for them to eat.

thank you suprisingly he ate everything and he looks alot more happy and active

thank you suprisingly he ate everything and he looks alot more happy and active

it seems its always best to leave the old cast in. though, as stated here, most leave the claws. (keeping these is a good way of charting your crays growth.)

though its not calcium the cray gets from its moult. (most of that is withdrawn, prior to the moult anyway) and, there is no evedence that crays can even digest/recycle calcium. though i guess when they poop it out, it will go into the water column, to be absorbed then.
the cray is after the organic lattice the calcium it held in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back