Loaches with guppies? Don’t have anywhere to put them!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppyramid

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got 2 unidentified loaches. I think they’re Botia but not sure. I’m not sure if they would go well with my guppies and pleco. The bigger one is about 5-5.5 inches including the tail and the smaller one is about 2.5 inches. I don’t have anywhere else to put them. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

4th pic is guppies for size reference
Pleco is a bristlenose pleco, a bit bigger that the guppies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 67
Loaches are generally bottom feeders like cory. They are scavengers. I think those are golden zebra loaches. I have not had any for years but I do not remember them going after other adult fish. They usually swim around at night and hide during the day if they can.

Essjay is correct, the fish in the photos are definitely two different species, and probably the species essjay mentions.

Each must be in a group of at least five. Botine loaches are highly social fish, and the stress of being on their own is severe. Regardless of the species. If you have at least a 4-foot tank you need to get another four of each species as soon as you can; behavioural changes can quickly occur from this stress. Alternative is to return them.

Thank you everyone! I found out the bigger one is a yo-yo loach and the smaller one is a zebra loach! I added them to the tank and they are happy.

Don't forget you need at least another 4 of each species and a tank at least 4 feet long to house them. The links I gave you in post #6 give information on how to keep them.

I agree with essjay. Another issue, the Yo Yo loach (species is Botia almorhae) is generally peaceful, but like all loaches (to some degree) they establish a social structure within the group and there will be some in-fighting though not damaging if the fish are maintained in a group of at least five and there are numerous hiding places in the aquarium. They can be combined with other loach species. Long-finned upper fish should be avoided to prevent possible fin nipping. The second species, Botia striata, also needs the group of five (or more) as essjay noted, and this species is usually more tolerant than the former.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back