Loaches and Corys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
mrV said:
If they do get too big after a few years then its time to get a bigger tank!

How do you know, when its time to move fish into bigger tank? They grow slowly, but you must remember, that aquarium size affects growth of fish and especially when fish are young, water values and aquarium size is important.
I would like to think a little common sense would prevail and obervation of ones fish, I would like to consider myself able to judge if a fish has become too big for its aquarium - though so far I have not had this problem.

So are you saying no-one would be able to tell when a fish has outgrown its tank?

;)

So are you saying no-one would be able to tell when a fish has outgrown its tank?

If you like to say it on that way - then yes. How does anybody know when it's critical to move fish bigger place that its growth doesnt "stop"?? I don't know and I think no one knows it actually.

How old?? 3 months, 6 montsh, 9 months? Has aquarium size already affected its growth? You cannot just watch your fish and consider.

If you read homepages of hobbyists, you'll see that fish are usually much more smaller than they could be (<- bad food, not vitamins, bad water values, small tank etc...)

For example:
I have 4 crossocheilus siamensis in 200 L aquarium and 6 same fish in 450 L aquarium. In 200 L they seems to grow slowly, but in 450 L they are almost same size as fish in 200 L, but they are much younger.

I would also like to add that in my short time of keeping tropical fish I keep clown loches and peppered corys and albino cats and they seem to get on fine.

I take your point that Clown loches do grow to quite a large size but most owners would love to have 4 or 5 6ft tanks but room is usually the biggest problem and most of us have to use what we've got.

Fish will only grow to the surroundings they are kept in but as long as they do not suffer then that's fine.

I f the size of the fish still looks comfortable for the aquarium then whats the problem?

Some fish will grow too big for their aquarium - maybe not growing as quick as they might in a larger one or in the wild but nontheless may outgrow their home and so necessitate being rehoused.

I have seen many fish that are housed in a tank that is obviously too small for it! and what Im saying is that if I had these fish or this problem then I would rehouse them.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back