Loach suggestions please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JamesTasker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank with some tetra, livebearers and 2 kuhli loaches.

I went to get some more kuhlis yesterday, but the shop didn't have them, probably because they got wiped out - apparently they often do. I think I've given up buying them because I have lost at least 5, and the 2 I have at the moment come out during the day so I get to see them.

I'd quite like to get 2 or 3 of another type of loach. I would like ones which come out in the daytime and won't be aggressive towards the kuhli loaches and make them hide.

Any ideas?

botia striata or botia angelicus are you best bet James
both are a very peaceful loach :thumbs:

Yoyo Loach
Burmese loach/Polkadot Loach
Zebra Loach

I've kept those with Kuhli Loaches with no problem.

Botia sidthimunki would also work, although they are usually expensive because they are a threatened species.

cometcattle said:
Botia sidthimunki would also work, although they are usually expensive because they are a threatened species.
I can't even find them around me :dunno:

Loach Lover said:
cometcattle said:
I got lucky and bought 4 juvies ($17.99 each), but it was a rare find. :D

cometcattle said:
Loach Lover said:
cometcattle said:
I got lucky and bought 4 juvies ($17.99 each), but it was a rare find. :D
$17 is bad at all considering how hard they are to find.

I like botia histrionica - gold zebra loach. Plus they stay small at 2.5".

Loach Lover, were you the one who mentioned Aqua Serene and pet time in another post? (hope so, lol!) Aqua Serene had Sidthimunkis about a month or so ago(the last time I was there). They were labeled 'Dwarf chain loach', I think. I was surprised to see them, first time I've ever seen them 'round these parts! The gal looked at me like I was crazy when I said "you have Sids". She said " eh, those are dwarf chain loaches", I was "okay, fair enough." :dunno:

I would also like to suggest yoyo loaches, very nice fish. Every yoyo loach I ever owend was very hardy and lived for many years.

I'd just like to say, no yoyos for a 30 gal tank,
they can reach 8". I personally have two that are now 6.5"

2manyClowns said:
Loach Lover, were you the one who mentioned Aqua Serene and pet time in another post? (hope so, lol!) Aqua Serene had Sidthimunkis about a month or so ago(the last time I was there). They were labeled 'Dwarf chain loach', I think. I was surprised to see them, first time I've ever seen them 'round these parts! The gal looked at me like I was crazy when I said "you have Sids". She said " eh, those are dwarf chain loaches", I was "okay, fair enough." :dunno:
Yeah I was the one who mentioned it (Don't be confused by the multiple screen names :lol: )

I was there a few days ago and got 2 more Burmese Loaches (Polkadot Loaches).

I noticed off hand batik loaches, yoyo loaches, burmese loaches, and clown loaches. I know they had more there but I was in a hurry. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back