Loach Identfication

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LoachLover

Snails Beware
Reaction score
I was at one of my nicer fish stores the other day, and was looking to pick up a couple new loaches. They had several they were selling as "Burmese Border Loaches", and I ended up buying three of them. What I find confusing is that they don't look like the Botia kubotai that I normally see referred to as Burmese Border Loaches. I took a picture of one of them, and have posted it below. To me they look a little more like Botia rostrata...

BurmeseBorderLoach.jpg

I could be wrong, but from my experience Botia almorhae tend to have a more "random" look to their pattern.

Your little dear looks like a B. rostrata, but I do know there are a couple of Botia types that look similar when juvenile, namely the B, almorhae (which I am sure its not), B. histrionica, and your other guess B. kubotai. As they mature their markings should tell you once and for all which loach they are.

I am finally getting a group of 6 Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki which are also a peaceful small loach.

Well I suppose surprises can be fun ;). Either way they're beautiful loaches, and I'm happy to have them. I'll hopefully post some better quality pictures soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back