Livebearers Photo Sharing Thread

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I really like your endler Fish48. I can never seem to get a clear shot that close on mine, they move too much.

The Alloophorus fry are cute too, my goodeids never seem to be close together like that. They look to be about 2 cm long in the picture.

Is the picture between those a picture of some skiffia?

they are girardinichthys multiradiatus i am down to only 3 pears so got to get them breeding again
there are very few people that can keep them alive for any llenth of time

Aloophorus Robustus... they look nice. Off to do some research :p
Alloohupours Robustus
Or the Bulldog Goodeid they can grow to almost 6" long. I kept my first pair in a 3 foot tank which gave them plenty of swimming space. they can get aggressive to each other and towards smaller fish It is best to keep them by themselves. they normally have 2 or 3 broods a year. about too weeks before the female was due to drop her young I put her into a well planted tank and I check the tank each day because she can eat or kill the fry.in the first brood she had 15 fry and the second brood there was 28 but I found them all dead.these goodeids will eat all foods To get them in breeding condition live food is a must. I feed them. chopped earth worms, slugs, and live fish, frozen blood worms prawns and mussels,
I keep them between 66f -72f
Aloophorus Robustus are very common in the wild andare very rare in the fish hobby
View attachment 57938
male

View attachment 57939
female

Those look a lot like my Xenotaenia resolanae but the resolanae only get to about 3 to 4 inches in my tanks. Most of my goodeids are gentle enough with their fry although some work on each other a lot to establish a pecking order of sorts. My resolanae have that reputation but I keep them in a 40 gallon 3 foot long NPT so they don't see each other from very far away through all the plants. It seems to work out for me. I have no place to keep a tank cool enough for the Girardinichthys multiradiatus so I will probably pass on those. The Alloophorus look intriguing so I will probably put them on my list of fish to try in the future.

what are these then :S

post-27009-1253454493.jpg

69 platy fry born 20/9/09 from my blue platy - dad believed to be red wag pintail, will give better pics when they're bigger :lol:

Those are the newborn Alloophorus fry Tropic John. Like most goodeids, they are born much larger than any of the common livebearers. My Ameca splendens are about 2 cm at birth, the Xenotaenia resolanae are well over 1 cm at birth, the Xenoophorus captivus run about 1.5 cm at birth, the Ilyodon whitei go over 1.5 cm at birth too, the Xenotoca eiseni are among the smaller ones at just over 1 cm at birth. Goodeids are well developed fish when first born and carry what amounts to an umbilical cord that they used before birth to receive nourishment, they take much longer to become ready for birth and can afford to take longer because of that structure. The umbilical like structure is called trophotaeniae and is almost unique to goodeids among the freshwater fish. By contrast, there is no close parallel structure in any of the Poecilia or Xiphophorus which constitute almost all of the other livebearers that you will run across in the hobby. Goodeids also never have a gonopodium in a male, instead they will have what is called and andropodium, another common name for goodeids is splitfins for the shape of the male sex organ.

This is one of my Xenotoca males with the typical splitfin, andropodium, of a male goodeid.
ClearMale1024.jpg

This is a female Xenotoca that is sort of similar in anal fin shape to any Poecilia female but a bit larger and rounder than some of them.
ClearFemale1024.jpg

This is a picture of one of my Xenotaenia that I thought looked a bit like the Alloophorus robustus adults that Fish48 has.
Xeno1024.jpg

Finally a picture of 3 of my Ameca splendens
3Amecas1024.jpg

A couple of mine, sorry for the blurry pics, I will try to get some better ones.

Heterandria Formosa arrived today:

3971685148_2e760ae64f_m.jpg

One of my boys:
3971667238_7c974602cf_m.jpg

kari, those are the wild formosa, not the gold form, correct? Imo, I prefer wild fish, not their 'colour morph' versions :)

That looks like a wild form to me too Tropic John. This is one of my females that almost looks like the female in the picture from Karigupi.
femaleupright1024.jpg

Pity you're not all my neighbours..... These are all free to a good home (& I'll still have enough left to start the culture all over)
Male Guppy display tank in Garage
Endlers365.jpg

Female Guppy display tank in Garage
Endlers377.jpg

Guppy pond outside (thousands)
Endlers060.jpg

Male Guppies inside Garage
Endlers359.jpg

Inside Garage
Endlers131.jpg

Males
Endlers361.jpg

Blondes swimming with fry in tank
Endlers391.jpg

Compiled pictures- 'Wild Guppies' / Feeders
fishb.png

Creamsicle balloon molly, I believe?

Dalmatian Lyre tail female..right after she shed near to 100 fry in less then 45 minutes. She remained saggy in the belly until the end of her days and never produced me any more fry. Out of the lot she gave me, I have one female I kept that's coming along nicely.

Marble Lyre tail male, was a complete ladies man, but didn't seem to ever get lucky.

Will post more pictures later ^^

Ye see..... those "Guppies", are what I would call Endlers at my end of the world..... (but then again.... I've never seen an Endler for sale around here).....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back