FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GriffinC18

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So i recently had three female guppies with two male fish in a ten gallon tank with one algae eater.....well my oldest female guppy died (I think and hope of old age). So i was left with a bad ratio of females to males, and i really do not want any of my females to die of being stressed out and harassed to much by the males. One of the females if pregnant by the way, which is also another reason why i had to move all the fish around form three tanks: 10 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 1 gallon. So what i did:

10 gallon:
Filter​
heater​
thermometer​
 ​
2.5 gallon:
filter but its broke
confused.gif
 ​
1 gallon:
filter (can do up to three gallon tank and has aerator)​
heater​
 ​
ORIGINALLY:
 ​
10 gallon:
3 female guppies (adult), one died so now 2 female guppies (adult)​
2 male endlers (adult)​
1 algae eater (i can't tell)​
 ​
2.5 gallon:
Nothing, not even water, uncycled.​
 ​
1 gallon:
1 male guppy (baby)​
2 male endlers (baby)​
I do not want to here about stocking in this tank for you cannot see the size of them. As if you go by the 1 gallon of water for one inch of fish this tank is only a little bit overcrowded.​
 ​
CURRENTLY:
10 gallon:
1 female guppy (adult)​
1 male endler (adult)​
2 male endler (baby)​
1 male guppy (baby)​
1 algae eater(idk most likely adult)​
 ​
2.5 gallon:
1 male endler (adult)​
 ​
1 gallon:
1 pregnant female guppy (adult)​
 ​
HOPEFULLY:
10 gallon:
2 female guppies (adult)​
 ​
2.5 gallon:
2 male endlers (adult)​
 ​
1 gallon:
fry from pregnant guppy​
 ​
 ​
I have not moved both of the male endlers (adults) to the 2.5 gallon tank yet because it is not cycled. I do not want to lose any adult fish so i put the baby in for about an hour and it did not die so then i out the baby in the ten gallon and placed the less attractive male in first, i will wait overnight to see if it survives, if so i will place the other male in also.​
 ​
I will be able to move the two male endlers (adults) back into the ten gallon when i am able to either buy a third female or pick one out of the fry.....​
 ​
I also do not have the babies in the hopefully column because i really want a new tank to out them in i=until they grow up but i do not know if this will happen or not, they are all male and i don't want three males in the tank with two females.....​
 ​
 ​
i call them babies, cause they are bigger than fry.​
 ​
I don't know what i am asking for, advice i guess. I posted another thread about cycling tanks and how it hasn't killed any of my fish with a tank being uncycled and still don't understand all about cycling...yet​

May I ask what you mean by "Algae eater"? Just as a 10 gallon doesn't seem like it's big enough for any algae eaters. 

Cycling is the process used to establish bacteria in a tank's filter, bacteria that takes ammonia (A toxic substance to fish, but is naturally produced by them) and converts it into a substance called nitrite, which the bacteria converts to nirtAtes, which need to be removed via waterchanges. "Cycling" is establishing this beneficial bacteria. If you have cycled tanks, cut or take 1/3 of their media, and transfer it into the filter of the uncycled tank. This seeded media will help cycle the tank alot faster. 
Sure, a fish wont die after a few minutes, but if there are worrying levels of ammonia present the fish will soon get ammonia poisoning and the ammonia will really start to harm your fish. I would avoid moving the fish back and forth into tanks for testing of the water,  as it will also stress the fish out. A test kit is a much safer way to do this. 

You could put the fish in the 2.5G tank, but just monitor water stats, especially Ammonia. Do maybe 50% waterchanges every 2 days or less, and try not to feed the fish much so the water quality is okay. Put some seeded filter media into the filter for the 2.5G tank's filter, and this will speed up the cycle. If the ammonia if over 0.25ppm (I think this is the "safest" amount for fish?) then I would move them back to the 10G or do a waterchange again. 

I hope this makes sense in some way to you, but basically you can do this, just add some old media to the 2.5G's filter, monitor water stats, increase waterchanges, and perhaps less frequent feedings (To keep the water quality good)

If any of this is wrong, please someone add their thoughts into this :)
All the best
-Ash

sorry, what is media? is it the like filter cartridge stuff?

So you are saying to move the 1 gallon filter to the 2.5 and add media, and have the 2 male endlers (adult) in the 2.5? with the rest in the 10 gallon??

I will try to get a water testing kit at the store and get back to you with results, 

i sincerely thank you for the help, knowing how to make the cycle go faster will help out tremendously.

Media is indeed the stuff inside the filter. (Cartridges, sponges, ceramics ect) Sorry to not add that.
There should be a filter in every tank, I would suggest you do move it from the 1G to the 2.5G, but this will mean you will need to increase the amount of waterchanges in the 1G to keep the water as clean as you can. 

Im glad i've helped you in some way :)

Okay I think i will do that :)

you have helped me in multiple ways!

I also think that i will have one female guppy in the one gallon and the other in the 2.5 gallon. 

Then have all the males in the ten gallon....
I really need a new and bigger tank.

ill also move the filter to 2.5 like you said and start doing more frequent water changes in one gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back