Live Rock SG?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ingo_1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have one lovely Green Spotted Puffer in a 20g tank which I'm converting from brackish to fully marine. I have just changed the substrate to argonite and am now doing water changes with RO water. I have purchase a 36W T5 compact to go with my 18W T8 tube. Now all I need is live rock. The SG is currently 1.014 and I am raiseing by 1.002 a week.

Because of the price of live rock, I will have to get it bit by bit so would like to start ASAP. At what SG will I be able to start adding live rock. Will I have to wait till I get to an SG of 1.020?

ingo_1978 said:
I have one lovely Green Spotted Puffer in a 20g tank which I'm converting from brackish to fully marine. I have just changed the substrate to argonite and am now doing water changes with RO water. I have purchase a 36W T5 compact to go with my 18W T8 tube. Now all I need is live rock. The SG is currently 1.014 and I am raiseing by 1.002 a week.

Because of the price of live rock, I will have to get it bit by bit so would like to start ASAP. At what SG will I be able to start adding live rock. Will I have to wait till I get to an SG of 1.020?
[snapback]860281[/snapback]​

I think that if you are getting fully established live rock (as apposed to completely dead aragonite rock) you will have to slowly acclimate your live rock to the lower salinity. 1.020 sounds like a good place to start. This is assuming that you have all kinds of stuff growing on the live rock, with worms, copepods, amphipods and other critters. If you are simply gettng rock that doesn't have any growth on it or critters you can be less worried about the acclimation process, because then the only "live" part of the live rock is beneficial bacteria, that we all know can be easily replenished with time. I gues I've rambled a while now, I hope this made sense, it's been a long day at work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back