Live Rock And Tap Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Another quick question, im cluttering up the place but need to know quickly.

I recently cycled my fish only tank the old way. With a filter, bio media and that way. I have 25KGs of Ocean rock in there. I run dechlorinated tap water. Everything is running smoothly and I have 2 ocellaris clowns in there ATM.

Would it be a good idea to add 10KGs of Live rock? Would the dechlorinated tap water kill the LR off? Would there be any bad effects to doing this?

I only ask as I can get 10KGs pretty cheap ATM so if its worth it, I may aswell

well if you cycle it in a bucket first then yes you can. but 35kgs is a lot so i would take out 10kg and then add 10kgs of live rock.
but im unsure on the filter because your live rock will be your filter so i dont know if you can take out your filter and just use the live rock :look: so i dont know but all i know is that the tapwater will not kill the rock.

Thanks for the reply
yeah thats what I was going to do, take out some rock first. Its a shame because I actualy like the scape for once but LR seems nicer.

And that was a question, Do I run the boi filter and the LR at the same time. As 10 KGs of Live rock (plus 6ish KGs of reef bones which I have so mayaswell use) isnt going to filter 30 gallons on its own is it? Ahhh I should have thought about this all before I started the tank up!!! lol

Live rock is just dead coral skeletons anyway, which is what I assume your reef bones are :p

Your LR will be less dense than ocean rock so you will probably find your 10kg of LR takes up more space than 10kg of base rock...

I don't personally see why you can't run the 2 filters together... can you over filter a tank? -_-

LR Info

Ahh thats cool. I can just take as much ocean rock out as I need too and leave it to one side until I upgrade and then just use it then. If I can leave my filter running as is and just add the live rock (after I cure it seperately) that would be perfect, because its so simple lol

yeah the reef bones are just dry LR, I got it from the pet shop and used it on my old tank which I closed down in the end

But yeah, if thats not a problem, I will just add the LR that way

the live rock will seed the other rocks in the tank :good:

yer ben i did mean the reef bones :good: wait betta5 do you have reef bones in your tank? should of ask that ages ago :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back