live foods for my JD

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
I was thinking of giving my JD some live food every now and then and one of the most avalible things around here are earth worms I was just wondering if they would be all right to feed him

juanveldez said:
I was thinking of giving my JD some live food every now and then and one of the most avalible things around here are earth worms I was just wondering if they would be all right to feed him
Not only alright but a GREAT source of nutrition for him. I highly recommend it.

:thumbs: on the worms. have u tryed insects? like small crickets and such? not sure if that has any nutritional value for JD's though. i know it does for oscars, but not sure about JD's. can anyone clearify that for me? :)

sorry i don't feed live food :/ but i know he'll love frozen krill,it costs about 5 dollars for an 8" x 5"(APPRX SIZE) slab :( sorry i forgot what the actual size was but it lasts me a long long time.try it bert will love it :thumbs:

thanks guys. I will have to do some looking for the krill most... one other thing bert doesn't like the lights much in fact he only moves when they are off.... and he will rearrange everything in the tank to make it so that he is sheltered from the light.. is that also normal?

personally i would not recommend feeding earthworms to fish. you have no idea what the worms had just crawled through previously to feeding to your fish. you could very well end up killing your fish from poisons in the ground. as far as live foods go, a pair of convicts in with him would provide live food that he could get naturally from predetation. also you know the health of the live food that you are giving him. i also feed mine live brine shrimp that i get from the lfs here.

as far as moving things that is natural. also uprooting plants, digging pits in the gravel. just some of the fun.

semper fi

As semper says be careful...

...but if the worms come from your own garden and you know you dont use any pesticides/chemicals then prob not a worry :)

:)

I read that you can take the earthworms and put them in a dish of warmish water and let it set over night and this helps to puke them (don't know what else to call it, this is what we call it when we're preparing crawfish for dinner) Then you gently squeeze them from the tail toward the mouth to get all the grit out. I haven't done this myself and have no clue if it would effect pesticides. This is just one of those possibly useless tidbits I've picked up on the boards I frequent.
8)

there are only two places in my garden that get pesticides my cabbages and in my roses..... those darn aphids and cabbage worms.... I just have to kill them all KILL them I say :D :D :D must be the government brain washing that makes me want to kill all of the time

but what about him hating the light ( must not want to die he is definatly staying away from the light.)

Juan,

If your worried about pesticides and such, find a decent bait shop in your area. They usually buy there worms from worm farms.

You can also purchase worms from a worm farm yourself. There are many that advertise on the internet.

You may want to use red wigglers instead of earthworms. They are smaller and you can save yourself the mess of having to chop up the earthworms....unless your into that sort of thing!!

CM

again I have no prob in cutting up worms but carrie does so I am generally using small ones that he can just suck up and swallow down. but thanks for that idea

Most reactions

trending

Back