Live Food Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was trying to tempt my Fire Eel to eat an earthworm - as per suggestion from a member in the oddball section. Fire eel was having none of it so dropped the worm into my Oscar tank and he munched it almost in one hit!! :eek:

Would be happy to save worms from the garden for all my larger fish if they react the same way.

BUT :/ are there any risks in feeding my Oscars or bigger cichlids random worms from the garden?

I have asked that question may a times and here is what I got in response. It is safe to use common earthworms to add to the diet of your fish. Be sure that the worm is from ground that hasnt been treated with a fertilizer or pesticide and also make sure you clean the worm well.
Its a good idea ,some say, to set the worm in some peat moss for a few days to purge them out but I just give them a good rinsing and in they go
All of my fish love them and I have tiger barbs swim around for 20 minutes trying to get the whole thing in
So to answer yes you can feed them worms

Les

Do you chop them up before you put them in?? Or just leave them whole and let them fight over it?? :D

i dont even rinse mine its only a bit of mud in our garden. i slice them up with a scalpel but then im cruel.

My Oscars and African Cichlids just munch on whole worms.

Still trying to get the Fire Eel to eat one so I may have to resort to slicing them up before trying again.

I do hope there are no worm lovers reading this post! :sad: :sick: :sad:

Nik said:
I do hope there are no worm lovers reading this post! :sad: :sick: :sad:
Well no responses along the lines of how irresponsible & cruel to worms we are so I think you got away with it....... :D

Fishmurf - ever seen the film "7 Years in Tibet?"

Remember when they're builidng the cinema for the emporer and all the builders down tools because they're hurting the worms and in Tibetan Religion it states that the worm could be your grand mother - reincarnated?? :( :( :sick: :sick: :S :S

I hope my grandmother will understand. :blink: :/

Nik,

No I haven't seen the film, but as we are still getting away with it doesn't look like we don't have any Tibetan members who take humbrage to us feeding bits of our reincarnated relatives to our fish just to ensure they have staple diet...... :D

Anyway both my granmothers are still alive so I must apologise in advance to who-evers grandmother I am currently using as a food source..... :unsure:

Just make sure when u get the worms put them in an containor and leave water run on them over night to clean them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back