Live food for fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about the benefits of giving live food to fish. Some books are suggesting to get a bucket and go hunting. But I have no clue what to look for, and how safe is this practice for fish?

It's been also mentioned that you can buy this from a pet store and breed live food at home yourself. Besides feeder goldfish (with ich!!!) I haven't seen anything of the sort in our pet store. Where would I look for something like this?
Thanks.

You know, I have no idea if we have a fish club here. The town is rather small. But I will look for one nearby. Thanks.

Well it also depends on what kind of fish your feeding. To guppies, bloodworms and brine shrimp are good live food, but if you have say, a Piranha, that means your going to be looking for something a bit different. What kind do you have?

I have two goldfish, two cories and a frog, and soon a large tropical community tank once it cycles.

What I would recommend is the safest and the most nutritional of foods is frozen live foods. The , take for example the most common of these foods, bloodworm. These midges in larvae form, which look like red worms are caught live and irradiated to destroy any harmful bacteria and frozen in blocks. There are many different different varieties to suit all fish tastes. They have all the benefits of feeding live food without the harmful side effects. You can buy them at most good aquatic stores in the freezer section.

yup.....your only problem will be convincing your parent/partner/flatmate to let you have 'worms' in your freezer.

Luckily, we've got a spare refrigerator in the garage where I keep my frozen bloodworms...........but i didn't tell my wife i have worms in there..... :S

Hi

Depending where you are in the world, there are lots of people who sell SAFE live food.

Live food tends to have a higher nutritus level than its frozen counterpart.

:p my lfs shop sells loads of live food, erm blood worms and them other little wierd ones lol, but i do remember in my old rain water collector tank thingy, they used to breed so i just netted a few, washed them and chucked in with the fish, they loved them! :D

Most reactions

trending

Back