live bloodworms

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This can be very easy, what you need is a bowl of water, some fallen leaves and a shaded corner out your back.........

Place the water in the bowl in a quite corner of your back and place leaves on top of water leave the water for a week or two..........

Hey presto ! you will have bloodworm, the flies come down and lay the eggs under the leaves and it all starts from there but be patient because this can take some time to get underway, there will not be greate numbers to start with.

Strangly enough i found this out at the owl center i work at, the wild tawny owls bowl doesn`t get changed very often so is left for weeks on end, when i went in there were loads of then and they just kept on mulitiplying.....try it yourself :D

Just keep topping the water up now and again....the chlorine doesnt bother them at all for top-ups

just wondering can you do this any time of the year, or is it like spring-summer ?? doh
:D

I didnt know u can get blood worm, but i know u can get mosquito larve, but that involves stinky water lol

It works better eg. faster yeild in the summer, due to the amount of egg layers but will work all year round :D

even in the cold winters that we get in the states? i want to try this. mine love :wub: bloodworms. i also got 1/2' of snow, below zero temps and not fly one in site. but, could you put it in the house or a garage? guess the garage would be too cold.

maggie

Well i put them in the garage in winter they seem just fine and will survive but i live in england so we have pretty cold winters but i have no idea how bad or cold it gets over there so ill have to pass, only been over there in summer. At the owl center we have had frozen water in bowls and after they have thawed out the bloodworm still are live, thisb is of course if only the top layer of water freezes not the whole thing.

Well in england it doesn't get much below freezing and that really only happens at night. I think it'd just be too cold in the US and canada at this time.. I see you've got your first snows already :D Here on the other side of the pond we're lucky to get snow at all, sometimes when we get it it causes havoc though because we are soo unprepared ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back