Live bearers in soft water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

3 dgh/60 tds
This is quite soft. Even for livebearers that do well in soft water. I already gave you some options which thrive well in soft water but preferably from 4 - 8 dGH 70 - 140 ppm soft and up.
As already mentioned by Gary is that you could join and/or inform at the ALA if they can help you out. Maybe one of the members of the ALA may have the suitable livebearers you're seeking for.
You really don't have to try an lfs. They won't have them.

There are a few livebearers that thrive in softwater, but they are hard to find. I watch out for them and see them extremely rarely. They are difficult fish to keep. I have never seen them in any North American store, and only at dealers specializing in rarities.
Overhere in western Europe it's easier to get your hands on such livebearers than in northern America. But only through private breeders. Retail doesn't bother to focus on rare livebearers.

Sadly moving to Europe for livebearers isn't really an option. Also the fishes would have to be at least as large as kubotai rasbora as I think if they were much smaller they would be expensive fish food. Anyway thanks. I think the tank will just transitiion to egg layers only and I will no longer have my box of chocolate - well i guess they will be sent to the basement will i will visit them once a month.

I have struggled with what has been considered hard and soft and usually use the ppm or DH numbers directly, but with that said we also talk in terms of soft and hard water. I think it would be good if we could pin @Byron table to the useful links. No live bearers for me either.
0 - 4 dGH 0 - 70 ppm very soft
4 - 8 dGH 70 - 140 ppm soft
8 - 12 dGH 140 - 210 ppm medium hard
12 - 18 dGH 210 - 320 ppm fairly hard
18 - 30 dGH 320 - 530 ppm hard
over 30 dGH over 530 ppm very hard

Most reactions

Back