Little Slice of Ocean

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The old way scraping a tank was to have a wall of rock, food, dead or dieing fish can get trapped around the back of it. If a fish vanishes it usually ends up around the wall. I would have a spike shape (v) of rock coming from the filter end, you can still have hidey holes for fish in there. It will be easier to monitor rather than removing rock all time to find that missing creature or pile of decay food that is giving you loads of algae problems

Couple close ups, picked up a new mushroom this afternoon that is settling in, can't for the life of me remember the name though.

20210602_201043.jpg

GSP

20210602_201040.jpg

Ricordea

20210602_201914.jpg

Unknown

Not the best shot but picked up a Ricordea yuma from another hobbyist in my area, good price.

20210604_185940.jpg

FTS

20210604_185903.jpg

Fortunately for me, unfortunately for the wallet quite a few other reefers in my local area have some great pieces for sale, picked up my first acan and first zoa

20210607_204814.jpg

Acan echinata, unsure of what type.

20210606_190547.jpg

Dayglo Volcano Zoa

Alk 9
Calcium 360

Did a retest when i got home so cheers for asking! Need to bring the calcium up.

Just from what I've read from other reefers keeping tanks around 400-450.
Yes, you definitely need to bring it up to at least 400. It’s usually recommended to have it hovering around 420 though.

You only need lots of calcium if you aren't doing regular water changes and you have lots of fast growing hard corals like Acroporas.

Most corals don't grow fast and even Acroporas only grow about 10-20mm per year. If you do a monthly water change, it will usually keep the calcium levels high enough for any corals. If you want to add calcium, that is fine but in most cases it isn't necessary.

You only need lots of calcium if you aren't doing regular water changes and you have lots of fast growing hard corals like Acroporas.

Most corals don't grow fast and even Acroporas only grow about 10-20mm per year. If you do a monthly water change, it will usually keep the calcium levels high enough for any corals. If you want to add calcium, that is fine but in most cases it isn't necessary.
You need to know your calcium levels if you want to keep LPS and SPS. If you just have softies, it’s a non-issue.

However, @Wells just got an acan, so he needs to stay on top of his parameters.

Picked up a very cheap 4 head hammer today from another reefer, it's just settling in.

20210616_181747.jpg

Needs some proper arranging now but here's a FTS.

20210616_183702.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back