Little River Rio

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Water change for the little Rio tonight. Ive had to thin the water sprite down because its growing like wild fire.
20220121_194510.jpg
The Red tiger lotus as grown so much already and the colours beautiful:wub:. Ive added a second blub to the right side now. Really want the centre of the tank to pop red.
20220121_195159.jpg
20220121_193631.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great! I've just bought a tiger lotus for my tank - excited to see how it grows :)

Wills

Looking great! I've just bought a tiger lotus for my tank - excited to see how it grows :)

Wills
I had a green tiger lotus in my Roma 200 which i let the lilly pads grow to the surface which was pretty cool but im going to try trim and keep the red lotus near the bottom this time.
20201101_094425.jpg
20191219_182641.jpg

Have read sometimes this plant doesnt like being trimmed.
Pretty sure @seangee had success trimming his lotus back tho.

This lotus plant is about to take off
20220121_193649.jpg

Friday⬆️
20220123_184807.jpg
Today⬆️
20220123_203502.jpg

An hour after the photo above.

@Byron I vaguely remember you mentioning you once had a lotus plant. Do you know whens the best time to trim the leaves so they stay low?

@Byron I vaguely remember you mentioning you once had a lotus plant. Do you know whens the best time to trim the leaves so they stay low?

When a new leaf stem appears headed toward the surface, cut it off. This will encourage the lower leaves as in your photos. I never did this, because my use for this plant was as a surface cover, and the large reddish leaves covering the surface of my 90g were lovely. There were, if I remember correctly, no lower leaves. I suspect the surface leaves appeared because of lower light in my tank, but as I say that is what I wanted from these. I had three, two daughter plants appeared from the tuber.

When a new leaf stem appears headed toward the surface, cut it off. This will encourage the lower leaves as in your photos. I never did this, because my use for this plant was as a surface cover, and the large reddish leaves covering the surface of my 90g were lovely. There were, if I remember correctly, no lower leaves. I suspect the surface leaves appeared because of lower light in my tank, but as I say that is what I wanted from these. I had three, two daughter plants appeared from the tuber.
Thanks Byron ill do that:) I left my green lotus to rise up and help cover the surface which i really liked but i want these reds to stay low to break up the greenery.

Definitely need to trim durning maintance tomorrow lol:wub:
20220129_180107.jpg

20220202_173920.jpg

This tank as suprised me from the off. Ive spent alot more time on other tank scapes and not had the same results back.

From tank of the month to tank of the year (still not sure how lol) its been fantastic.

I can now say this tank is to be published in a well read and respected American hobbyist magazine which im quite proud of and it should be out in the coming weeks. Ill pop some pictures on when i receive the copies🙂

View attachment 155844

This tank as suprised me from the off. Ive spent alot more time on other tank scapes and not had the same results back.

From tank of the month to tank of the year (still not sure how lol) its been fantastic.

I can now say this tank is to be published in a well read and respected American hobbyist magazine which im quite proud of and it should be out in the coming weeks. Ill pop some pictures on when i receive the copies🙂
Wow that’s incredible! You are going to have to give us more info than that though! How did it come about etc?

Wow that’s incredible! You are going to have to give us more info than that though! How did it come about etc?
The owners of the magazine approached TFF a while back then got in contact with me to publish the tank. Ive been sending Pictures and info over the last few months to the directors and layout team.

Theyve asked me to document and do a write up on my Ellioti too 🙂

View attachment 155844

Thats amazing! Congrats! I still think you have some of the most beautiful tanks that anyone does on this forum...

The owners of the magazine approached TFF a while back then got in contact with me to publish the tank. Ive been sending Pictures and info over the last few months to the directors and layout team.

Theyve asked me to document and do a write up on my Ellioti too 🙂
That's really cool to see that they look at this forum for tanks!

Most reactions

trending

Back