Little River Rio

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
in my experience gouramis can be a bit too mean when it comes to having them with smaller fish, now I must say that I have only ever kept blue gourami, I currently own 2 and they get head on head with me many times bigger than them tilapia (living together in my backyard pond until I can buy and set a 30-gallon exclusively for them), but they are around the same size as pearl gouramis so I think similar behavior could be expected (if someone with experience on pearls can tell me that they are less aggressive than blues pls do so) still, gouramis are amazing fish with lots of personality that tend to be curious and friendly with their owners, even being capable of recognizing them and directly interacting with them, so they end up being a fish you are sure to bond with.

Edit: just read the rest of the post and just saw you already got them, so pls keep us updated on how they behave with your tetras if they turn out to be too aggressive or rough with them I would say to still keep them but in their own tank since I still stand on my point of them being great loveable fish that you are sure to form a deep bond with.

in my experience gouramis can be a bit too mean when it comes to having them with smaller fish, now I must say that I have only ever kept blue gourami, I currently own 2 and they get head on head with me many times bigger than them tilapia (living together in my backyard pond until I can buy and set a 30-gallon exclusively for them), but they are around the same size as pearl gouramis so I think similar behavior could be expected (if someone with experience on pearls can tell me that they are less aggressive than blues pls do so) still, gouramis are amazing fish with lots of personality that tend to be curious and friendly with their owners, even being capable of recognizing them and directly interacting with them, so they end up being a fish you are sure to bond with.

Edit: just read the rest of the post and just saw you already got them, so pls keep us updated on how they behave with your tetras if they turn out to be too aggressive or rough with them I would say to still keep them but in their own tank since I still stand on my point of them being great loveable fish that you are sure to form a deep bond with.
With reading up and taking view from other fishkeepers experience ive not really come across many having trouble with aggression with Pearl gourami with smaller fish (tetra etc).

They seem one of the more peaceful gourami and only really tend to squabble between each other.

I will watch this very closely tho and keep you all updated how they settle and interact with their tank mates :)

Blue
With reading up and taking view from other fishkeepers experience ive not really come across many having trouble with aggression with Pearl gourami with smaller fish (tetra etc).

They seem one of the more peaceful gourami and only really tend to squabble between each other.

I will watch this very closely tho and keep you all updated how they settle and interact with their tank mates :)
This is what I have read and experienced with gouramis…
Blue gouramis, powder blue gouramis and dwarf blue gouramis are all very territorial and can be quite aggressive towards their own kind. Honey gouramis are timid and not aggressive. Pearl gouramis are in between those 2 and you can usually have 2 males if you also have 4-5 females together in the same tank. Not so with the blue, if they spot another male they will go after it until one wins and the other either dies or hides in his corner all the time. If OP has one male and 5 females he is going to have a really nice group to watch. If he has 2 males he is going to have to keep an eye on them and maybe get 1 or 2 more females.
Cant wait to see how he makes out. Photo attached are of my 3 females chilling out together.

Attachments

• 94CA9EB6-605F-4AE2-B9B2-608624CA22ED.jpeg
    94CA9EB6-605F-4AE2-B9B2-608624CA22ED.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 67
What a lovely aquarium! My stock is similar just without the cories.
I'm am getting Cardinals, Rummynoses, Black Neons and Pearl Gouramis in my aquarium.
Thank you

Enjoy, youve chosen i really nice mix and the colours and movement on show are just beautiful

Thank you

Enjoy, youve chosen i really nice mix and the colours and movement on show are just beautiful
What an absolutely gorgeous aquarium! You have done well my friend. I just love your little Cories and your gouramis look really happy swimming together. What can I say you have a perfect mix in there and you must enter in the tank of the month when it’s for your size tank, I will be sure to vote. :hooray:

What an absolutely gorgeous aquarium! You have done well my friend. I just love your little Cories and your gouramis look really happy swimming together. What can I say you have a perfect mix in there and you must enter in the tank of the month when it’s for your size tank, I will be sure to vote. :hooray:
Thats very nice of you to say :thanks: really appreciate it

Blue gouramis, powder blue gouramis and dwarf blue gouramis are all very territorial and can be quite aggressive towards their own kind.
my blues are super aggressive with other fish, I have 1 male and 1 female (plan to buy another female) and they fight my 40cm tilapia, and my red ear turtle they also chased and ate my guppies, they are really mean fish but still love them since they interact with me even in the pond, and when they were small and in my tank they swam up to the feeding corner whenever they saw me nearby.
glad to hear that, I didn't know pearls were calmer than blues keep us informed in the long run.
your aquarium looks fantastic! and those gouramis look to be really happy, hope they form a good bond with you and give you many years of happiness and enjoyment

20211030_175333.jpg

All is still well in the little Rio. The Pearls have settled in lovely and so far getting on swimmingly :)
20211031_120126.jpg
20211031_120147.jpg
20211031_120154.jpg
colouring up nicely and the yellow fins and black markings really popping now :wub:
20211031_120950.jpg

Ive got a monster Rummy nose in the making lol. Probably 3 times bigger than his brother and sisters.

W.O.W! I LOVE your tank! It is beautiful! Definitely a competition winner!

Stunning dont know how I've missed this journal!

The crypts are awesome in here! What fertilisers do you use? And do you know your lights wattage?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back