Little bit concerned

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sylvan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm a little bit concerned about my male Betta. I bought him on Friday, he went in the 5 gallon tank with the shrimp and was very active Friday and yesterday. Today he's been very lethargic, staying in one corner. by the surface. I checked the water before he went in and I've been paranoid since he went in so I checked the water yesterday and today as well because I want him to be healthy and happy. Nitrites and ammonia were reading as 0, nitrates between 20-40ppm (I only have strip tests at the moment and planning to pick up a better test). What I did notice today is the water temperature had lowered, when he went in it was 25C and today it had dropped to 23.5C at it's lowest. The corner he's been staying in is the one with the heater. I had a closer look at the heater and I'm pretty sure it's on the way out so I've ordered another to arrive tomorrow. I decided to do a partial water change and top up with warmer water to raise the temperature. I've also put the heating on so the air temperature is higher and there won't be too much heat lost.
The temperature is back to 25C and he did seem more active again, he's down a couple of circuits of the tank and tried to pick on one of the larger shrimp but has now gone back to the same corner, though he is further away from the heater than he was and more active than he was earlier. He's currently lay on a leaf but is swimming.
Could it be he was just a bit cold or is this potentially something more serious?

He should be ok in 23.5° . You say the heater could be on the way out, do you have a separate thermometer?
Our betta does like to sleep in the corner by the heater and filter sometimes but if your fish is lethargic all day that is a bit concerning.
They do like stimulation, does the tank have places to explore?

He should be ok in 23.5° . You say the heater could be on the way out, do you have a separate thermometer?
Our betta does like to sleep in the corner by the heater and filter sometimes but if your fish is lethargic all day that is a bit concerning.
They do like stimulation, does the tank have places to explore?

A separate thermometer on the other side of the tank. He has places to explore, the tank already had quite a few plants and driftwood in and I added a couple more when I got him. Whether he's also maybe feeling a bit full because he gorged himself on snails and the shrimp fry over the previous couple of days. With not having fish for a long time and not having a Betta for an even longer time I'm a bit paranoid about him, coupled with the fact he's new so I don't know what's normal for him yet means I worry.

If he's over-eaten you could miss a feed or two and feed him a shelled blanched pea. Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

If he's over-eaten you could miss a feed or two and feed him a shelled blanched pea. Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

I haven't fed him today or yesterday since he'd already sorted himself several good feeds. I've rechecked the water after an hour or so of changing it. Ammonia is at 0, nitrites at 0, nitrates look closer to 20ppm, pH looks to be 7. After my last reply, when I checked on him again he was right at the back and was vertical. Just checked on him again and he has moved and is more horizontal again though still at the surface.

The only upside to him being off is the shrimp have emerged and I've been able to do a better count of the adults. He hasn't been through them as thoroughly as I thought he had and I've got at least two pregnant ones. He's definitely thinned out the smaller ones quite a bit but the adults seem mostly intact.

Thank you Naughts by the way for replying, I realised I hadn't already said it.

You're very welcome. Let us know how he gets on.

If he was kept in a warm tank at the shop or importers, he is probably a bit stressed from the cooler water. However, 23-25C will not harm him. Bettas are fine in water that has a temperature between 18-32C and do best when it's around 24-28C.

Do regular water changes, offer him a varied diet, and give him time to settle down.

Thank you both for replying but unfortunately he died overnight which makes me think he had an underlying issue that the stress of moving brought out or there is an issue with the water that I missed. Since the shrimp are happy and active I suspect the former or they prayed hard enough to their god. I'll do some water changes and leave the tank as is for a bit before trying again. It's such a shame because he was a beautiful fish.

Oh, how sad. I think it must have been an existing issue too because your water conditions and tank set up are good.
Tell the store what happened, they should take responsibility for it.

I would contact the shop you got him from and see if they will replace him.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean now and for the next week. This will help reduce the number of disease organisms in the water. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back