Linux Mandiva

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
I'm downloading ATM Linux Mandiva, as Red Hat is only available as far as I can see via a paid-for product. Obviously this jumps one of the main points of getting Linux, it should be free and open-source so you can fix any bug or change the kernal/other compenent of the distro yourself if you so disire... So, I'm trying to get something based on Red-Hat, but that is an open-source free distro :good: Mandiva claims to be just that? Anyone using it? If not, anyone using another Distro that is Red-Hat based?

Thanks
Rabbut

Red-hat is one of the godfathers of linux a lot of distros are based on it and its evolved through the years....

Red Hat is the distro Uni use, and I've grown to love with time, hence why I wanted that distro... I don't suppose they do offer a free open source version of just Red Hat do they, and I've just missed it on the main site?

Thanks for the input
Rabbut

Been a long time since I have used red hat but quick scan of there website and I only see enterprise edition mentioned so that hints that there are other versions. Fedora project is based on red hat and they are closely related.

Thanks for that Saltynay :good: I think I've got a Live CD version of Mandiva now, so I'll see if it is similar at some point soon after burning the disk. If it isn't to my liking, I'll go hunting for that Fedora distro :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Looks like Mandiva will work fine. I can even get drivers for everything (wireless card to be confirmed, subject to the windows driver working in the built-in windows emulator that I could not test from the live CD, as it required changes to a few things that are "hard coded" on a CD-R) so I'll be making the switch in about 2 weeks time :good: Whish me luck migrating to Linux and getting it all to work this time :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back