Linguine With White Clam Sauce

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
OK....I don't measure and I"m not afraid of the garlic, so, if you are a clam sauce fan, here ya go..it's simple. The key? Fresh clams and reducing the stock and no fear of carbs or cals for the evening:

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

clam_sauce.jpg

Ingredients:
1) Head of garlic
2) Lemon juice
3) white wine (not that store bottled stuff)
4) 2 lbs of clams, little necks (no open/broken clams, no quahogs. I've tried it with steamers once and it worked pretty well)
5) fresh parsley
7) extra virgin olive oil
8 ) half pound of linguine

1) In a medium size sauce pan, half fill with water and steam open the clams after rinsing them off. As the clams open, remove them from the water and shell and chop them up
2) Boil the clam juice until it reduces to about 1/2-3/4's a cup (this is the key)
2) Pour enough extra virgin olive oil into a large frying pan to cover the bottom and heat, medium. Crush/press as many cloves of garlic as you want(I generally use 4-6) into the oil and GENTLY saute the garlic until it just starts to look golden. Don't burn it or turn it brown .... YUCK.
3) Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Toss in the clams, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a splash of white wine (not too much) and then add the reduced clam juice making sure that sediment stays behind and not in your sauce
4) Add as much fresh chopped parsley as you like....enough to add color....2 tblsps or so.
5) Of course, the linguine should be al dente. You can heat the sauce prior to pouring it on the pasta...let it absorb a little bit before serving

You can garnish the bowl with a little fresh parsley and even get a few extra clams that have been steamed place in the pasta.

You could serve this with a shrimp cocktail (keep your paws off my skunk cleaner) garnished with lemon and a nice salad. Wine? White...Pinot Grigio, Fume Blanc go well. LOLOL. Bon appetito. SH

It sounds fantastic steelhealr, i may try the recipe this weekend if i have time.

Does sound good, the only problem is where can you get Clams from in the UK.
Living and working in London you would have thought it easy, but none of the fishmongers I have tried have clams, and the supermarkets don't.
Thing is I love Clam Chowder, but it is so hard to come by here.
Waitrose have some pathetic excuse for canned clam chowder, but the best I have come across is when we went to france they sold some in Carrefoure over there!!
Long way to travel for kilo of clams!

I can get hold of clams easily, so easily that i even feed them to my fish!!

Any decent fishmongers should sell them really.

How close are you to Twickenham? Probably the best fishmongers in London is Sandys in Twickenham high street, if you like eating seafood then its a must visit, they have everything you could possibly want and probably a few things youve never seen.

The key is to try and get what we call little necks over here, smaller clams. Stay away from the larger clams (quahogs)...they are tougher and don't have the same flavor. Little necks are pictured above. The recipe is quite simple, but, VERY GOOD. I don't ascribe to the addition of cream. Also, you could throw in a tablespoon of butter which is nice. Won my wife over. LOLOL. SH

Morrisons with a wetfish counter do sell them and if you have one they will order in items for you...what ever you want...they can be expensive tho....Scallops are £18.50 a KG !!!!

Keep in mind that scalops are a different shellfish, and that they useually come preshucked, when you buy Live littlenecks its at least 6 dollars a pound here on the west coast for the average littlenecks.

Thought I'd bump this up since I am going to have it for dinner tonite. LOL. SH

Thought I'd bump this up since I am going to have it for dinner tonite. LOL. SH

Did that dinner go well?

An entire head of garlic. :good: Me likey. What type of wine do you use? I know not the store stuff, :sick: Any particular type, though? I imagine it could be the same bottle that you will end up drinking with the meal? :lol: It makes things very efficient.

llj

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back