Limp Top Fin On Platty

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Livebearers can live up to five years if taken care of properly. Sometimes they always don't, also inbreeding can shorten the lifespan of your fish if it happens to many times. 

See i got them from a petshop so there is a good chance they have been interbred. I lost a guppy yesterday too. Same sort of thing. So i have doubled the dose of anti internal bacteria. Every other day.
What im not sure of, is.... when do i add the carbon to remove the meds and then when can i remove the carbon. People always say its expensive keep carbon because you have to change it after a couple of months.

Run the carbon after the treatment is up. Usually have to do a water change first.

Black carbon only affective for 2 to 9 days and it stops working. So using it all the time is a complete waste of money.
Also you need to throw it a way as you can't reuse it once its dried out.

I'm sorry for your losses. And i i now know not to buy carbon filter media anymore lol. Waste of money

Black carbon only needs to be used for removing medications and tannins from the water.
The juwel carbons are not cheap.
Saying that juwel nitrate sponges are a waste of money too.

My nitrates are always at 40 and my tap water is 30ppm . Any advise to get this down??if you say get live plants could you recommend long lasting easy one please. :) Could this be why i have a problem in my tank.?Ive noticed one of my guppies is pooh a creamy yellowy colour. Hopefully the anti-internal bacteria will clear that??

Well, as long as you do regular maintenance (weekly 50% wc, clean filter media) and that sort of thing then there is nothing else you can do in that sense. Unless you could spare time for an extra water change every week??? As for live plants, how big is the tank again, because certain plants will outgrow tanks... Plus if you really want them to thrive you will need root tablets which provide essential nutrients such as iron. You will also need a liquid fertiliser, which again provides more nutrients and encourages healthy growth. Then you may need carbon, although in not sure how big your tank is so im not sure whether its necessary...

Hope this helped

Im upgrading from a 30litre to 110litre

in a 30 litre, carbon is not necessary. After you upgrade it will be a massive help to the plants!!! :)

KieranBoyne said:
in a 30 litre, carbon is not necessary. After you upgrade it will be a massive help to the plants!!! :)
Does carbon help plants??

yep. It helps with growth. Plant substrate also benefits them, as does root tabs, which provides extra nutrients... But im not good with all of that sciency stuff... Just know that it helps them a lot... This is liquid carbon, not carbon media incase i didn't say that LOL :) :) :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back