Lights Will Not Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mbuna Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My Juwel lighting system has recently stopped working yet i dont know why.

The lights themselves work fine when tested alone but when i switch on the rocker switch to turn them on they come on for about 2 seconds then go out.If i unplug the lighting then plug them back in and switch on the rocker switch they come on again but as before for just two seconds then go out.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this problem is?

Dave.

Tried again today but still no lighting.

I dont know whether its the switching or do they have a starter like the ones that can be fitted to the ceiling,and if they do where is it.

Anyone help here? :(

I am assuming that this is a fluorescent fixture and not incandescent. I would suggest that you replace the starter if the fixture has an external starter. If that doesn't solve the problem, take the fixture to a lighting store and they will likely diagnose your problem.
Cheers;

Hi Vic.

I`m not sure now that the Juwels have a starter or if they do i cannot see where to get at it as the unit seems sealed.

Looking around the forums it would appear that it is not just me who has had problems with the Juwel lighting system,many have said they need to replace the unit but since it is only 11 months old i am as mad as hell as to do this and even if i did what`s to say that next year the same problem wont happen. :sad:

Have you thought about getting it replaced under warrenty, I know the tanks dont have as such but i would think that the electrics would.

I have sent an e-mail to the shop where i bought it from explaining the problem.The tank is only 10 and a half months old so hopefully something should happen.

I have also sent a rather angry e-mail to Juwel,though not expecting any reply.

We`ll see what develops.

I have sent an e-mail to the shop where i bought it from explaining the problem.The tank is only 10 and a half months old so hopefully something should happen.

I have also sent a rather angry e-mail to Juwel,though not expecting any reply.

We`ll see what develops.

Well if you don't get a reply, I would suggest that you publish Jewel's e-mail address hear together with a complete history and we will see if a whole bunch of e-mails from avid hobbyists might change their tune somewhat. I for one would certainly take the time to copy your history and send them off an e-mail.
Cheers;

Well if you don't get a reply, I would suggest that you publish Jewel's e-mail address hear together with a complete history and we will see if a whole bunch of e-mails from avid hobbyists might change their tune somewhat. I for one would certainly take the time to copy your history and send them off an e-mail.
Cheers;

nice like it!!!!! ill do that too.

It annoys the hell out of me when a company sells you something,and not cheap neither,then washes all hands of you if any problems occur.

Looking around the forums here and elsewhere i have found that this is an on going problem regarding the lighting.I will not stand by and go and buy another light system only for that to fail in a years time,thats ludicrous.

I will wait a day or two to see if i get any reply,since its the weekend thats the least i can do for the moment i think.

Dave.

It annoys the hell out of me when a company sells you something,and not cheap neither,then washes all hands of you if any problems occur.
Dave.

I dont think this statement is fair just yet, you have only just sent the mail to them, give them a chance for it to filter to the correct person. Id be giving them a week.

Yes i agree it is a bit early to condemn but i have viewed quite a few posts both here and elsewhere and all have the same comments.But like you said Dark i will give it a week.

Why would you send them an angry email for? Surely a well written polite email would get you further.

When I had problems with a 2nd hand juwel tank lighting unit I sent them a polite email address and within a few days I had a nice, brand new, light unit :)

Rudeness gets you no where.

Joel

Why would you send them an angry email for? Surely a well written polite email would get you further.

When I had problems with a 2nd hand juwel tank lighting unit I sent them a polite email address and within a few days I had a nice, brand new, light unit :)

Rudeness gets you no where.

Joel

Angry was perhaps not the right word i chose,firm may have been a better choice of wording,sorry about that.
But the reason for my `firm` e-mail was because i have spoken to and read about other people who have had the same problem and got nowhere.Maybe i was jumping the gun a tad.

Anyway,i`ll see what happens in the next few days.

Ok,i have now recieved a new replacement light unit from the nice folk who i bought my tank off and with lots of very nice communication to boot i am very pleased with the whole process,so well done to them.Thats `Pet Supermarket` from Tyneside by the way.

As for Juwel,well i have heard nowt,diddly squat,nadda,nothing,ziltch.

So my reply to Juwel is.............................`go screw yourselves`,thats the last time i buy anything from them and i urge everyone else to do the same.`

There,i feel better now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back