Lights not working - will plants survive?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

littlest

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought a Fluval Flex 34L (9gallon) as an emergency purchase this week because my tank had sprung a slow leak.

I also ordered some new plants - java moss, Hygrophila rosae australis, java fern, plus some marimo balls and Amazon frogbit I already had.

Last night the lights on the tank stopped working and only blue leds work now. I've contacted the company and they're ordering replacement in for me but I don't know how long it will take.

How long until my plants are ruined? Anything I can do to help?

The blue LED lights - it's dull but will the plants be able to use it?

Attachments

• 20191004_175810.jpg
    20191004_175810.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 94
It depends upon how long. Plants require red and blue light to drive photosynthesis, and of these red is the more important. Can you temporarily use any other type of light over the tank, where you could provide better light?

I've literally got a desk lamp that I can shine onto the side of the tank.

I'm not willing to have the lid off the tank (as i have a child with additional needs who wouldn't be able to keep his hands - and God knows what else - out). Although i suppose i could when he's at school.

I've literally got a desk lamp that I can shine onto the side of the tank.

I'm not willing to have the lid off the tank (as i have a child with additional needs who wouldn't be able to keep his hands - and God knows what else - out). Although i suppose i could when he's at school.
That is a good idea. You could also make a DIY lid out of plexiglass.

I have a 10 gallon tank that has a desk light, and it works great for me...;)

1692C946-8F58-4DA9-AAEF-26B745EB0CFB.jpeg

spray wd40 into the switch area.. you should disassemble the light to access the switch ..water tends to corrode the switch and cause sporadic issues. Dont spray it near the tank...remove to another room.

Thanks.. I'll have a look at that tomorrow. I would be surprised it was water corrosion though as it's been running 2 days and lights failed after 24 hours. So it seems more of a fault?

Hope you are getting a free replacement light

Check the internal wiring for solder joint faults. If they want the light back for replacement you probably shouldnt mess with it right now.

Check the internal wiring for solder joint faults. If they want the light back for replacement you probably shouldnt mess with it right now.
Agreed. Let them replace it and don't give any opportunity for them to say you broke it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back