Lights for new fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well today was the day I bought my first fish? A group of 7 five banded barbs, they've been in the tank for just over an hour but seemed quite timid and were sheltering hunched together at the bottom in one spot under my floating plants.

However I noticed that when I changed the light colour to a dim dark blue they've become much more active and are now swimming around the middle of the tank. Should I keep the light as it is for now? Or is there a better colour for these fish.

The first day, the lights should be kept off as the fish are stressed from being chased round the fish tank, put into a tiny bag then moved into a totally new environment. They need time to settle. So lights off and no food until tomorrow.

I can't remember if the tank is planted or not, but most of the fish we buy come from water with overhanging vegetation. Floating plants provide the cover they 'expect'. I bought some espe's rasboras (close relative of harlequins) before I had floatin gplants and they just hid in the back corner. Once i got floating plants they came out more and more as the plants grew - but only under the plants.

The first day, the lights should be kept off as the fish are stressed from being chased round the fish tank, put into a tiny bag then moved into a totally new environment. They need time to settle. So lights off and no food until tomorrow.

I can't remember if the tank is planted or not, but most of the fish we buy come from water with overhanging vegetation. Floating plants provide the cover they 'expect'. I bought some espe's rasboras (close relative of harlequins) before I had floatin gplants and they just hid in the back corner. Once i got floating plants they came out more and more as the plants grew - but only under the plants.

I have turned the lights off now and will keep them off for the rest of the day, they went a bit crazy for the first few seconds after switching them off bur calmed down quickly. Yeh I was advised at the shop not to feed them for the first day as they'll most likely be too stressed to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back