Lights Became Very Dim All Of A Sudden

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just under 6 months ago I bought a Beamswork 18W LED light unit seen here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151171228154?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyway a few days ago the light has started taking longer than usual to turn on to full strength, which is unusual because it always did it almost instantly

Now yesterday the light went completely dim, and for a while it kept switching on and off as if it was an alternating current. That stopped but it's still really dim. Emailed the seller but no response yet.

Any ideas on what might be going on? I thought LED lights were supposed to work for ages

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very unusual, I have the same lights and not had any issues with it at all.

Does the power supply cord work from a adaptor for a European 2 plug outlet?

If so, perhaps change the plug for a standard UK 3 point plug as the current is the same anyway at 220 - 250v, just make sure the fuse inside the plug is either a 3 or 5 amp fuse.

Ch4rlie said:
Very unsual, I have the same lights and not had any issues with it at all.

Does the power supply cord work from a adaptor for a European 2 plug outlet?

If so, perhaps change the plug for a standard UK 3 point plug as the current is the same anyway at 220 - 250v, just make sure the fuse inside the plug is either a 3 or 5 amp fuse.

It's a normal UK plug as far as I know, if thats what you mean

If its a normal UK 3 pin plug, then probably is not that.

As sometimes these 2 pin to 3 pin adaptors can be fickle and easily disrupted for power supply if its slightly knocked out of place is all I meant.

On my light unit I got, same model as yours, it had a European 2 pin plug with a cheap adaptor. I simply changed that 2 pin plug for a 3 pin UK one, not had any issues at all to date.

Dimming LEDS or flickering LEDS is usually a sign that either the driver or the bulbs themselves are near their end of life.
This shouldn't have happened after 6 months though.

Well, I spoke to the seller who agreed to give me a refund if I send the item back to him. Now I'm definitely considering this, since it's pretty useless, but he wants me to send it to Hong Kong even though I bought it from the UK which is just unfair in my opinion. I'm not sure what to do now. Need to contact PayPal somehow and speak to them about that.

I also bought an Arcadia light yesterday and I can't believe how bright it is. I can safely say I am never buying any generic LEDs again because the quality is just so much less. My tank is completely lit up now, and the colours are much better as well.

Need to check if it's worth sending it to Hong Kong or whether I'll be spending more on postage...

You shouldn't have to pay for postage back if they are faulty.
They should also be covered by Paypal/Ebay.
A lot of Chinese retailers have this practice of claiming to be a UK-based shop, when they really aren't.

Which Arcadia light did you buy? CFL or LED?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back