Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sibelius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Friends,

I've been out of the hobby for some time (at University), but a bulb/tube went in my tank a few days ago. I've had trouble finding a replacement for the tube that I've been using (t8 18" I think.) However, it seems that T5s have become the norm. Could somebody please direct me towards the relevant page, or update me on lighting trends.

Thanks

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/15-Watt-18-Inch_2;jsessionid=0a010a601f43e90f48e004244dd2b7d8cc500779a7ad.e3eSch0Pb30Pe34Pa38Ta38Lc3j0

That link should have some 18" 15W lamps. Hope that helps.

Friends,

I've been out of the hobby for some time (at University), but a bulb/tube went in my tank a few days ago. I've had trouble finding a replacement for the tube that I've been using (t8 18" I think.) However, it seems that T5s have become the norm. Could somebody please direct me towards the relevant page, or update me on lighting trends.

Thanks

Hi, I guess you are aware it's NOT just a simple job of replacing the T8 tubes with T5's. The whole unit will have to be upgraded

As you have observed a T-8 is not a bad way to go. Don't let the plant people, or even me, influence you too much to go with T-5 HO. I have a couple of those fixtures now and am finding them very useful in getting the light levels over my planted tanks at higher levels. Unfortunately, a T-5 HO that is rated at 50 watts means you are actually burning that higher number in watts as measured by you local utility. The end result is tat you pay electrical rates for whatever power you are using. In my own case, the cost of power is not too outrageous so the increase is fine with me.
In many cases, the increased cost of using the T-5 HO power is more of an issue than buying the fixture itself. If you don't include the total cost of upgrading your lighting system in your calculations, you are in for a rude awakening when the next power bill arrives. Sometimes, I am leaning to quite often here, the cost of power is far more significant than the original cost of a light system.

As you have observed a T-8 is not a bad way to go. Don't let the plant people, or even me, influence you too much to go with T-5 HO. I have a couple of those fixtures now and am finding them very useful in getting the light levels over my planted tanks at higher levels. Unfortunately, a T-5 HO that is rated at 50 watts means you are actually burning that higher number in watts as measured by you local utility. The end result is tat you pay electrical rates for whatever power you are using. In my own case, the cost of power is not too outrageous so the increase is fine with me.
In many cases, the increased cost of using the T-5 HO power is more of an issue than buying the fixture itself. If you don't include the total cost of upgrading your lighting system in your calculations, you are in for a rude awakening when the next power bill arrives. Sometimes, I am leaning to quite often here, the cost of power is far more significant than the original cost of a light system.

Thanks for your insights OldMan47. The origin of my problem was having some difficulty finding a T8 tube. It seemed that they'd almost vanished from existence, at least as far as online shopping goes. I assumed there had been a sort of paradigm shift in terms of lighting fashions, but I've stuck with the T8, and, as you say, I won't be paying any more for the time being.

In the US, a selection of T-8 tubes can be found at any hardware or home improvement center. I do not know what things are like in other places, I'm not there. A T-5 is impossible to find at a local store here, I must shop on line to ever find one. T-12 light tubes are also still available but with them fitting the same fixtures as the T-8 bulbs, I never buy a T-12 any more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back