Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have a lighting enquiry. Is there such a thing as having too much or too little lighting? My tank isn't directly in front of a window but it does get natural light without the direct beat of the sun (when we get to see the sun). There is no green water problems yet! Various advice seem to be that it is a matter of choice. I'm asked if the lighting is decorative or functional, and when I reply a bit of both I'm advised to leave the light on during the day. So as well as natural daylight it also has the light. Is this right. I've come to the experts. 8)

If you have live plants and lots of them then the window will be no problem but if not it will be only a matter of time before all h##l breaks loose. Green algae is a pain to get rid of. Rose

:) Thanks for the tip Rose, will bear that in mind. It's reasonably well planted. It is still in it's infancy stage. It only has a few fish to get started. The usual hardy ones.(eg.guppys and other livebearers) I do have to baby bristle nosed cats. Do you think they would do too much damage?

Dragon, What size is yor tank? I usually run a couple watts per gallon.
One other thing to consider is this: If you don't have enough light to overcome sunlight, whether direct or indirect, your fish will not swim upright in the tank. They like to orient themselves with the sun,(light) above them. :)

Thanks Great Lakes,
Will note that info. Some of the guppies were tilting towards one side.(side towards the light). Just like plants they were becoming "phototropic". I wondered why. Now I know. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back