Lighting help for a newbie....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Anno

Reaction score
My husband got me a 55 gallon aquarium. I've done everything I can to do everything as right as I can. My first big issue has happened with my lighting. I need full spectrum lighting because I have real plants. I ordered a Ledmo brand LED strip, full spectrum, waterproof, w/remote, 12 volts. We superglued it onto inside of the hood. It was great. Plants started growing like crazy. I loved it, fish were happy, plants were happy.....it just didn't last. Is there anything else that will work similarly? When I ask my fish store, which I do love, their best recommendation is to get a glass top with a light bar like those in the store. I don't want that look. I really would like something that could fit under my existing hood. Is this possible?

HI and welcome to the forum :)

How old is the light unit and what part of it failed?
It might be covered under warranty.

HI and welcome to the forum :)

How old is the light unit and what part of it failed?
It might be covered under warranty.
Not that old, a few weeks. I'm headed back to my fish store now. My plants can't wait any longer. I have to get them something now.

Plants can survive without light for a lot longer than you think. I have had some Crypts surviving in a tank with no light for over 6 months, all they get is the ambient light from the sun/room it self and that is not direct sun light.

as Colin mentions you maybe able to get this repaired/replaced under warranty, It is also best to check if the entire unit is waterproof or not it maybe the LED's are waterproof but the driver is not?

Alternatively amazon and ebay do great LED's that you can purchase dedicated to planted tanks just look around and pick the size and look that suits you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back