Lighting For 2Ft Deep Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My plants have never seemed to do very well and I'm wondering if they are getting enough light as the tanks are 2ft deep.  I'm using AquaRay LED tiles Grobeam 1500's, does anyone have any thoughts on whether these are enough for the job?

Following as having the same problem im running 2 led strips. One plant seems to blossom but the rest die

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LED's have good penetrating power. I run LED's on both of my reef tanks. My lights are 1foot above the tank and the tank is 30 inches deep. I get good coral growth with that on the bottom. All that just means that LED's can get down there. 
But the issue then becomes PAR. 

I've not used your light personally but from everything I've read about their stats compared to what I know about LED's from my own experience, the AquaRay LED is enough for a 2" deep tank. 24 inches isn't all that much for an LED to penetrate. 

I have been following this advice for aquarium lighting:http://fotohobbist.com/blog/aquarium-lighting-for-planted-aquariums/#more-136

However for this to work you need to know how bright your lights are. Sadly many manufactures don't list the Lumen or PAR rating.

You could try increasing the on time of your lights. Most people use a timer to control there light. If you plants are not getting enough light simply leaving the lights on longer may help. if it does you may want to upgrade your lighting.

However that said slow plant growth or even dying plants could indicate a nutrient deficiency plants need certain macro and micro (or trace) nutrients. Fish food generally does provide most of the macro nutrients plants need. However food or water change may not be able to resolve a micro nutrient deficiency. If that is the case a good aquarium specific fertilizer that covers all of the macro and micro nutrient plant need is the best solution. SeaChem Flourish comprehensive would be a good start if changes in lighting doesn't work. If you have very soft water or are using RO, or distilled water fertilizer is generally required.

LED's have good penetrating power. I run LED's on both of my reef tanks. My lights are 1foot above the tank and the tank is 30 inches deep. I get good coral growth with that on the bottom. All that just means that LED's can get down there.
But the issue then becomes PAR.

I've not used your light personally but from everything I've read about their stats compared to what I know about LED's from my own experience, the AquaRay LED is enough for a 2" deep tank. 24 inches isn't all that much for an LED to penetrate.

Thank you for your reply Chad! That's useful to know, I will look at other reasons for the lack of growth.

in my 24 inch deep 35 gallon hex tank, I just installed an 18 inch 15 watt t8 life glo fluorescent tube supplemented by an inexpensive marineland led light. The tank is very brightly lit using these 2 lights.

Formely, I used a zoo med ultrasun fluorescent tube along with the led lighting with decent results. It was 2 years since I installed the zoo med, so i felt it was time to get a new bulb.....I chose the life glo which is a full spectrum 6700k bulb. But I mainly grow anubias which doesnt require bright lighting. After a weekly 50% water change, on the following day I add flourish comprehensive. On the next day, I add excel, and the following day I add flourish trace. The anubias is flowering which is a good sign and they are spreading which is also a good sign.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back