Lighting - Fluval Nano & Hygger - programmable 24/7 - Pros/Cons?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wanting to buy new lighting for my 5 gal planted betta tank. Hoping have enough light to grow medium to high light plants.
Wondering if anyone has used these lights and can offer any insights on how well liked (or not) and reliability of each?
I chose these 3 because I like the programmable features. I'm primarily interested in the Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight option but wondering if this cycle would be too long and/or too bright (algae growth?)
This pre-programmed cycle is unchangeable I believe.
Reviews on these are all over the place 😕
• Fluval Nano plant clip on 15W Bluetooth $80
• Hygger clip on 14W $30
• Hygger w/extendable brackets 14W $30
All have 24/7, DIY, Sunrise - Daylight - Moonlight programming options.
I like the Fluval but you have use an app to make all programming changes. The app isn't rated very well - 3.5 stars and has had trouble with recent updates and performance.
Does this light swing out of the way for easy tank access?
The 2 Hygger lights are essentially the same except for the mounting feature and how close light is to tank - clip on is 3.5" above tank edge, while the extendable brackets would not fit my tank so light would sit directly on glass lid (heat issue?).
Wondering if the Hygger clip on swings out of the way for easy tank access?
Also, any recommendations for other lighting options available that aren't terribly expensive?

I'll give you a rundown later. I have this light on my 29g and have to work on it this afternoon because algae has become an issue. The instructions are not the best, but they're not the worst either, and unless I'm mistaken there IS a way to change the length and brightness when you set it on the 24/7, and that's what I need to do tonight.

Wanting to buy new lighting for my 5 gal planted betta tank. Hoping have enough light to grow medium to high light plants.
Wondering if anyone has used these lights and can offer any insights on how well liked (or not) and reliability of each?
I chose these 3 because I like the programmable features. I'm primarily interested in the Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight option but wondering if this cycle would be too long and/or too bright (algae growth?)
This pre-programmed cycle is unchangeable I believe.
Reviews on these are all over the place 😕
• Fluval Nano plant clip on 15W Bluetooth $80
• Hygger clip on 14W $30
• Hygger w/extendable brackets 14W $30
All have 24/7, DIY, Sunrise - Daylight - Moonlight programming options.
I like the Fluval but you have use an app to make all programming changes. The app isn't rated very well - 3.5 stars and has had trouble with recent updates and performance.
Does this light swing out of the way for easy tank access?
The 2 Hygger lights are essentially the same except for the mounting feature and how close light is to tank - clip on is 3.5" above tank edge, while the extendable brackets would not fit my tank so light would sit directly on glass lid (heat issue?).
Wondering if the Hygger clip on swings out of the way for easy tank access?
Also, any recommendations for other lighting options available that aren't terribly expensive?
Sorry I have no experience with those lights exactly but I do have the fluval aquasky on my tank which has the fluval app. The app works perfectly for me if it’s the same app.

Hey @FoxChase here it is, hope it helps.

This is the one i have on my 29g tank.

hygger Auto On Off LED Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light with LCD Monitor, 24/7 Lighting Cycle, 7 Colors, Adjustable Timer, IP68 Waterproof, 3 Modes for 24"-30" Freshwater Planted Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B242C8X/?tag=ff0d01-20

I tooka couple of pics of my tank and the manual that came with the light. Took me less than 5 mins to change the settings (delayed the start time and lowered the brightness across the entire day). Installed it since Feb 9, and bought it because I left on a week-long vacation and don't have a timer, so decided to upgrade rhe whole fixture.

Pretty straightforward, seems sturdy doesn't generate too much heat (I've touched the plate in the middle of the day when it's running at 100% and it was eark to the touch, not hot) seems sturdy and obviously does the job because my plants have grown a LOT in this month, specially the floaters and the red ludwigia. So much so that I've taken shoots to put on my 10g and have scooped floaters twice too (a loner, mean gourami is the lone resident there and he loves eating floaters) AND in this same time period the algae started to grow, hence my wanting to lower the settings a bit.

When in auto mode you can edit the brightness of the white light only, not the rgb, FYI.

I'm very happy with this light, so much so that I'm considering getting one for the smaller 10g tank.

I've used it both ways, on top of the hood, and without the hood (the extension rods work great, again, it seems solid and sturdy to me)

Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

• 20220310_201158.jpg
    20220310_201158.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220310_201154.jpg
    20220310_201154.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220310_201150.jpg
    20220310_201150.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220310_201144.jpg
    20220310_201144.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220310_201116.jpg
    20220310_201116.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220310_201129.jpg
    20220310_201129.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 79
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest you look into the Nicrew line. Their lights provide plenty of spectrum for a 5g tank. Plus, you don't want to be spending a lot of money on a light that is for a tank that small.

Hey @FoxChase here it is, hope it helps.

This is the one i have on my 29g tank.

hygger Auto On Off LED Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light with LCD Monitor, 24/7 Lighting Cycle, 7 Colors, Adjustable Timer, IP68 Waterproof, 3 Modes for 24"-30" Freshwater Planted Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B242C8X/?tag=ff0d01-20

I tooka couple of pics of my tank and the manual that came with the light. Took me less than 5 mins to change the settings (delayed the start time and lowered the brightness across the entire day). Installed it since Feb 9, and bought it because I left on a week-long vacation and don't have a timer, so decided to upgrade rhe whole fixture.

Pretty straightforward, seems sturdy doesn't generate too much heat (I've touched the plate in the middle of the day when it's running at 100% and it was eark to the touch, not hot) seems sturdy and obviously does the job because my plants have grown a LOT in this month, specially the floaters and the red ludwigia. So much so that I've taken shoots to put on my 10g and have scooped floaters twice too (a loner, mean gourami is the lone resident there and he loves eating floaters) AND in this same time period the algae started to grow, hence my wanting to lower the settings a bit.

When in auto mode you can edit the brightness of the white light only, not the rgb, FYI.

I'm very happy with this light, so much so that I'm considering getting one for the smaller 10g tank.

I've used it both ways, on top of the hood, and without the hood (the extension rods work great, again, it seems solid and sturdy to me)

Let me know if you have any questions
Thank you so much for all the details!!! I hadn't spotted this model 😃 Looks like it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me!
If you try to do a DIY program of Morning, Day and Evening, are you able gradually ramp up the Morning and ramp down the Evening sections?
Also is it difficult to change to your local time? Seems to be mentioned a lot in the instructions and reviews.
Also I thought this model has a timer, is it inadequate? Thanks 😊

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest you look into the Nicrew line. Their lights provide plenty of spectrum for a 5g tank. Plus, you don't want to be spending a lot of money on a light that is for a tank that small.
I will give them another look, I think I originally ruled them out because others had more red LEDs and most only were 9W.
My tank is deeper than most 5 gal, it's a Marineland Portrait tank and my goal is to have enough light to grow some bright red mid level plants and also Dwarf Baby Tears carpets which require high light levels.

I haven't used the "timer" function, reading the manual it seems it let's you pick on/off times for both day and night (moon) modes. Per the manual, you can adjust the time and and the brightness FOR WHITE ONLY in day setting, and pick a color for night.

I had mentioned earlier that in full auto you could ONLY adjust brightness for white light, I was mistaken, you can change the brightness for all: white, red, green and blue.

Since I have a small submersible light, I don't use a "night) mode, so I went straight for the full auto mode.

It offers you 8 programmable time slots. Again, in this mode you can adjust the brightness for ALL 4 LEDs. And yes, you can edit both the time slots start/stop times AND the brightness for each individual slot/color.

Setting it up (local time) was a cinch. I have to say that for a manual that was obviously written by a non-native English speaker, this is one of the best I've seen, I honestly don't know why people gripe so much about that, and believe me, I've seen some manuals that truly will have you pulling your hair out.

Thanks for the clarification. I heard the same about the manual! I read what you sent in pics and it seemed understandable but did have to reread a couple sentences😁. Thank you so much!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back