Lighting :d

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MHS

Reaction score
I have 2x 15 watt bulbs over a 20g tank making my wpg 1.5, I want to add some HC so I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more bulbs.

3x 15 watt = 2.25wpg
4x 15 watt= 3.00wpg

what should I go for the 2.25 or 3.00 wpg?

Thanks
Andy

I'd be surprised if 1.5wpg wasn't fine for HC. CO2 and decent fertiliser would help too.

I'd be surprised if 1.5wpg wasn't fine for HC. CO2 and decent fertiliser would help too.

Depends if it's a 20g High or long. The long is only about 10-12 inches high, and I'd agree with you, but if it's a 20 high, that's about 16-18 inches. It grows, but it gets leggy, like it's bigger cousin HM. At least that has been my experience with lawncovers in a 20g high, except for Marsilea hirsuta, but that can be a low light plant anyways.

Still, I'd opt for only one more bulb, as I'm pretty conservative, especially if you have good CO2 and good ferts. 2.25WPG would be sufficient, whether it's a 20g long or high.

My tank is a high tank :)
I tried to grow it before with the 1.5 wpg and C02 but it grew really slowly.
I also want to try to grow ricca after i get the HC established.

Thanks guys
Andy

My tank is a high tank :)
I tried to grow it before with the 1.5 wpg and C02 but it grew really slowly.
I also want to try to grow ricca after i get the HC established.

Thanks guys
Andy

Well, how was the growth, though? Slow, I know, but was it staying compact or getting leggy? My HM was getting leggy in my 20g high, and I didn't like that, so out it went. The HM in my 8g, which is much more shallow, got compact and spready, which I liked. I know that the depth may have nothing to do with it, but both tanks have similar lumen/square inch levels, so the only difference was the depth. HM is very similar to HC in behavior, it's just larger. I don't necessary think that slow growth is bad, it's just slow. Perhaps, the HC just needs a little more time?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back