Lighting Advice needed please!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Neon1977

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Advice needed ASAP please if anyone can help!!

Hey everyone, knew to the hobbie (5 weeks in) and I need to know what watts I need to look out for when purchasing a light for my aquarium? I’m going to get an LED clip on light for my 25l aquarium as I don’t want to put anymore plants in before doing so as I fear there’s no way they are going to grow and thrive with just the 12V 1.5 W that I have on there now that’s attached to the lid! Thanks in advance :)

0.25-0.50 watts per Liter is a general rule of thumb. So in your case, you would need to get a 12.5 WATT light. I personally use a higher wattage, to get better plant growth. But that's up to you. :)

The old "x watts per litre" guideline doesn't apply to LEDs as they use less watts for the same intensity as incandescent and fluorescent lights. Nowadays we have to go by the PAR rating, which tells us how far into the water the light from a particular light penetrates. I know little about PAR as I have only slow growing, low light plants, so I'll leave someone else to explain PAR.

You also need to look at the K rating of the light. Plants need both red and blue light to photosynthesise and a lot of LEDs have only white and blue. Look for a light with a K rating around 6500 K

The old "x watts per litre" guideline doesn't apply to LEDs as they use less watts for the same intensity as incandescent and fluorescent lights. Nowadays we have to go by the PAR rating, which tells us how far into the water the light from a particular light penetrates. I know little about PAR as I have only slow growing, low light plants, so I'll leave someone else to explain PAR.

You also need to look at the K rating of the light. Plants need both red and blue light to photosynthesise and a lot of LEDs have only white and blue. Look for a light with a K rating around 6500 K

Thanks it’s an absolute minefield in the internet cant seem to fine one suitable to go on my tank but il keep looking :)

It is very difficult to get 1 answer everyone agrees on. I personally use a high wattage desk clip lamp on my 10g and my 29g. My plants grow green and tall. :)

It is very difficult to get 1 answer everyone agrees on. I personally use a high wattage desk clip lamp on my 10g and my 29g. My plants grow green and tall. :)

Thanks @PheonixKingZ im sure il come across one! Can you recommend the name of yours incase I don’t end up deciding on LED? I have a 25litre tank so would need something suitable for that.

Thanks @PheonixKingZ im sure il come across one! Can you recommend the name of yours incase I don’t end up deciding on LED? I have a 25litre tank so would need something suitable for that.
I honestly don't know the brand name. I found both of mine at Goodwill. :)

They are both very simple lamps with a single screw in bulb. Just look for a bright LED florescent bulb. I'll look later What wattage mine is . (I know for sure it is great value brand) The lamp its self has an adjustable "neck" that is super helpful. :cool:

Thanks it’s an absolute minefield in the internet cant seem to fine one suitable to go on my tank but il keep looking :)
I feel your pain, I've been looking for a replacement for an old T8 unit that died. I refuse to buy a light that costs more than the actual tank so I'm going to try a one of the spotlights I had on my rack. its 20w and 6000k so it may be good enough for plants.

I feel your pain, I've been looking for a replacement for an old T8 unit that died. I refuse to buy a light that costs more than the actual tank so I'm going to try a one of the spotlights I had on my rack. its 20w and 6000k so it may be good enough for plants.

It has been a nightmare I agree. Iv just purchased a 5w blue and white LED, 650 lumens for my 25l tank, I’m hoping that’s more than enough for my plants to grow nicely along with my liquid and tab fertilisers!

When you say your old T8 unit died, do you know what the problem is. I fixed two old T8 units by replacing the starter and by fixing the connection on one end.

The bulb still works, the starter unit flashes once then nothing.
Those are pretty easy to fix, I found a replacement starter at Petco but I am sure most hardware stores would have them too. They were not expensive and you just push down and twist and they come out .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back