Light suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I am in need of a light for my 55 gallon aquarium. I have a t8 plant bulb I could use, but I dont have a fixture for it. Anyone know where to buy these? Would I need a glass top underneath it?

Or suggestions for LED wouod be good too :)

You can buy fluorescent light units from any hardware store and some chain stores. Some are already wired up and others will need to be wired up. If you need to wire up a light unit, just buy a 2 meter extension cord and cut the female plug off. Then join that cord to the light unit.

Different countries use different coloured wires for electrical appliances. Check Youtube for wiring up light units using American wire or get an electrician to do it for you. It's pretty simple and only involves screwing 2 or 3 wires into a fitting.

Usually I like LED lights due to their saving energy features.(lower electricity bill).
My LED light is only 10-15W for my 15 gallons planted tank.
But for your 55 gallons tank, I think the LED light could easily 30W.

Anyway, I am not an expert in lightings for plants. So I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Ive got a 200 litre, 3ft and have a nicrew led fitting which just straddles the sides of the tank. Ive been quite impressed with it. Has white and blue LEDs which can be switched on/off and dimmed independently. In hindsight id rather picked up a full spectrum one that has red LEDs too...

Have taken some dodgy pics haha

IMG_20200708_132824.jpg

IMG_20200708_132801.jpg
IMG_20200708_132743.jpg

Its rated to IP68, technically submersible, so wouldn't need any additional glass

LED all the way.

Do you have plants or plan to get some?

Finnex makes some awesome fixtures. Nicrew seems to be a great budget option. Fluval is the best, but it'll cost you.

Between power saving, the adjustable settings, mounting options, and overall usability LED is the best option.

LED all the way.

Do you have plants or plan to get some?

Finnex makes some awesome fixtures. Nicrew seems to be a great budget option. Fluval is the best, but it'll cost you.

Between power saving, the adjustable settings, mounting options, and overall usability LED is the best option.
I do have plants. My budget is roughly $40 as I am out of work right now

How about a led shop light.

I got a 48inch led shop light that works great on my 90 gallon for $16 from Walmart.

How about a led shop light.

I got a 48inch led shop light that works great on my 90 gallon for $16 from Walmart.
Oh cool! I'll check that out. Itll work alright for low light plants? Also could you provide a link for the one you have?

I have T8 fluorescent lighting on all my tanks, and have had since the 1980's. When my lights bought in the 1990's began giving out (the ballasts) during the past 8 or so years, I could not find T8 anywhere and as I could not afford $300+ for good LED, I ended up buying shop lights for $30-40 (Cdn) and inserted these in the housing. I now have "new" lighting.

I got the shop lights (dual tube T8) from Home Depot; similar stores (Lowe's, etc) have them. A shop light is just a metal unit that takes one or two T8 tubes (they also have them in T5 but that is way too bright) and in lengths of 48, 36, 24, 18 inches. The link is close to what I got, but I wanted something to fit up inside the old housing so it would look better, and not disperse light all around. You can get various units. I went with T8 because I know the good tubes and they work. The next tie they give out, if I am still here (alive I mean, lol) I might consider LED, but I tried five units and none were good, and I could not afford more.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...Narrow-Strip-Light-Fixture-SNF232RT/206663835

I have T8 fluorescent lighting on all my tanks, and have had since the 1980's. When my lights bought in the 1990's began giving out (the ballasts) during the past 8 or so years, I could not find T8 anywhere and as I could not afford $300+ for good LED, I ended up buying shop lights for $30-40 (Cdn) and inserted these in the housing. I now have "new" lighting.

I got the shop lights (dual tube T8) from Home Depot; similar stores (Lowe's, etc) have them. A shop light is just a metal unit that takes one or two T8 tubes (they also have them in T5 but that is way too bright) and in lengths of 48, 36, 24, 18 inches. The link is close to what I got, but I wanted something to fit up inside the old housing so it would look better, and not disperse light all around. You can get various units. I went with T8 because I know the good tubes and they work. The next tie they give out, if I am still here (alive I mean, lol) I might consider LED, but I tried five units and none were good, and I could not afford more.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...Narrow-Strip-Light-Fixture-SNF232RT/206663835
If I was to do this, would I need to have a glass top underneath it to avoid water getting in the fixture?

If I was to do this, would I need to have a glass top underneath it to avoid water getting in the fixture?

Yes. I have the glass cover sets on one tank (and on the 4-foot and 5-foot tanks I gave away when I moved). The glass sets sit down on the lip around the inside of the frame, and the light fixture sits across the tank on the frame itself. This is the Aqueon, there are several brands probably.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AS7ZS/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back