light question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ravyc123

Reaction score
my light bulb is blinking on and off, i replaced the bulb and it still blinks. someone told me i have to replace that little white thing. does anybody know what this little white thing is called. thanks in advanced

I take it you mean fluorescent tube and not bulb if so it's just called a Fluorescent starter. I think you need to get one of the correct wattage though, this should be printed on the one you are taking out. (they just twist and lift out) Does it look like the one in the picture.
starter.jpg

Yes, the meant that starter. There is another thing that you might try first though, look at the contacts in the end caps and see if they are corroded. If they are clean them off and this might solve your problem.

yep,exactly what i was talking about, wow i love this place

Does it matter if you turn your light on and off at different times each day??

I would think that as long as it was close to the same times it wouldn't have a negative impact. But...

Timers are relatively inexpensive and keep track of that stuff for ya. I have mine set to come on 5 hours in the morning then off for 3 hours then on for 7 in the evening. I heard it is good for fish because it represents the sun with shade at high noon. But the reality is I do it because it fits my schedule better.

Timers are definitely a good thing to have on your lights, they give the fish some type of routine.

i have mine on for about 9 hours to control algea

i would leave them on anywhere between 8 and 16 hours

when algea starts to grow, just keep them off longer

I second Vvez's suggestion. I've always heard/used 12 hours. I also agree that if algae is a concern less light is beneficial.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back