Lifespan of angels

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fiddlesticks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows the average lenth of time angels live in aquariums. My oldest is at least 7-8 based on how long shes been with me and I got her after someone owned her for several years. I dont know how old she was when they got her though so I can only speculate on her age. Just want to know how much longer I can expect to have her for.

P.altums live for about 12 years
P.scalare live for about 10 years
P.leopoldi live for about 9 years

:D thanks. The one in my avatar is a scalare right? Thats not the one in question but she is similar in colour but with brown patches instead of black stripes.

P.scalare are the most widly available in the shops
P.altums are often labeld as Altum angels, with a higher price tag
I have never seen a P.leopoldi in any shop or on any wholesalers list.

A good way to remember is this...if you don't know then you have a P. scalare.

P. altum, or Giant or Deep Angelfish are much larger (as in salad plate) and MUCH more expensive (as in possibly $100+). They are almost exclusively wild caught and do not breed easily in tanks.
Because of this they have not been "changed" or "altered" or "tweaked" or whatever you want to call it, by breeders. They are pretty much all of similiar design, brown stripes.

P. scalare, which are much easier to breed in tanks and have been bred for generations for different colors and types can be white, black, spotty, splotchy, etc. I have found it rarer and rarer that the angelfish I see are the stripey kind. (I guess I am the only one who likes them that way. -_- )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back