Life Span of Tiger Barbs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A

AquaNut

How long should tiger barbs live? I just found a dead guy in my tank. I'm sure he wasn't more than three years old. All the other fish in the tank look great, and he did at bedtime last night. I watched them for a while, as I always do all my fish before bed. They were all eating well.. swimming fine.. no external symptoms whatsoever. Even now, he looks fine, just pale. He seems too young to have died of old age. :dunno:

Aw. Did I ask a dumb question or just nobody cares about my dead tiger barb? I can't say I'd blame you much if you don't, as even I'm not too concerned about it. :lol: I would like to know how long they live, though. :nod:

hey, Tiger barbs are fairly hardy fish, maybe it was just his time. Whats the size of your tank? do you have any other fish in there as well? Sometimes fish just drop dead for no apparent reason... But if the others seem all healthy then thats all that really you should worry about, just keep your eye on them. :rolleyes:

Most of the smaller barbs will live 5-6 years, some are notoriously short lived, Barbus oligolepis for example, others will live 10 years or more, Barbus vittatus springs to mind as one such.

That said, just as some people die young and others seem to go on and on, there is enormous variation, so that can only be an average - a guide.

Thanks Lat. It seemed to me that somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my memory I had stored away a lifespan for tigers in the 5 -6 years range. Just the same, I'm not too concerned about this lil guy. Everyone else in the tank looks great. Must just have been his time to go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back