Lifalili Cichlid or Jewel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yea, I hear Jewels can get mighty aggressive, and Lifa's are like Jewels but smaller. Maybe just a couple Rams would be best, although I do have perfect filtration :/ I even built that tank its own custom sump! 1 gal of bioballs ;)

--Dan

DannyBoy17 said:
If I were to put another SA Cichlid in my 29gal Angel tank, should it be some Rams (3?4?), a Jewel or a Lifalili?

--Dan
if you want to add another South American cichlid then get the rams. both jewels (Hemichromis bimaculatus) and the blood red jewel (Hemichromis lifalili) are West African. B)

besides, as the others have said the rams would most likely get along best. jewels can get aggressive and at the least nippy which would not go well with your angels. :)

Jason_S said:
DannyBoy17 said:
If I were to put another SA Cichlid in my 29gal Angel tank, should it be some Rams (3?4?), a Jewel or a Lifalili?

--Dan
if you want to add another South American cichlid then get the rams. both jewels (Hemichromis bimaculatus) and the blood red jewel (Hemichromis lifalili) are West African. B)

besides, as the others have said the rams would most likely get along best. jewels can get aggressive and at the least nippy which would not go well with your angels. :)
You should be a bloody Mod! I was hoping you would post!

I think I will go with the Rams. Now, to keep you guys busy, which kind and how many would work well in this tank. I just read something about a guy who keeps 3 pairs in his 30g :sly: Sounds like wayyyy to little room for a Cichlid.

--Dan

Even 3 pairs of dwarf Cs in a 30 gal is tight . I would say 2 pair , most dwarfs don't become super aggressive at breeding time , though pairs of apistos IME don't work , the male needs at least 2 females .

A group of rams may be best in your case though .

I keep 1 pair curviceps [ great fish , can be easy to sex ]
1 pair nannacara [ males and females look like different fish species ]
a Trio of cockatoo apistos [ males about twice the size as females ]
4 peacock gudgeons
a male badis badis and some of his fry

2 small [ dwarf sized ] gouramis
A small # of cories and otos [ no fish grows much bigger than 3" ]
With no big issues..yet :)
This an experiment .They are all very peaceful but , they really won't be happy if it's too crowded , and they can't do what comes natural to them .

Well planted and plenty of cover , many places to hide , in a 70 gal , and I may end up removing somebody [ or 2 :/ , or 4 ] :/ .

I'd like a 6 footer .

I'd say pass on the Jewels also , unless you want to either set them up on their own or with some larger/ slightly tougher fish .

Hey DB , you like ...." Silver dollars " don't ya :nod:

Lifalili(as said before) are just a different type of jewels,i have a breeding pair myself,they were sold to me as Red Forest Jewels and thats how all my trustworthy lfs name them.
back to the question,i agree with rams,theyre fun the absolute limit would be 4 IMO,2 being a pair and the others being same sex :nod:

DD

Most reactions

trending

Back