Lidless Axie tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I know I have had a lot of people in the past tell me axolotl tanks need a lid because they jump out. I have a couple problems with a lid though and am hoping to workout a solution, for the benefit of my axolotl.

1. A glass top allows for hardly any evaporation. This is an issue with a tank where I am relying on evaporation to keep it cool.
2. Ok so I go with a screen lid. Well now I can’t clip on my axolotls fan that keeps his tank below 68 degrees
3. I have bamboo and umbrella palms that stickup out of the tank. I would have to cut my screen lid to make room for them. When spending $30 on a lid, I would rather not have to damage it.

I am planning on getting a 40 gallon breeder (38x18x16 inches) and only filling it about 10 inches. I hope to have 2 or 3 axolotls.

What do you guys think, @itiwhetu @JennySolano @wasmewasntit and anyone else who has an opinion. What are my options here?

Mine didn't have a lid and never jumped out. They are not frogs. But four-legged big fat lazy things.
Oh wonderful. Do you think a lidless 40 breeder, filled ten inches with water, sounds like a good plan? I plan to get a sponge filter, black sand, some plants, and dragonstone with 2 or 3 axolotls.

Edit: the tank is also going by my window. Will this have any issues? I thought the natural light might be nice for my umbrella palms, but not be too harsh for the axolotls?

Oh wonderful. Do you think a lidless 40 breeder, filled ten inches with water, sounds like a good plan? I plan to get a sponge filter, black sand, some plants, and dragonstone with 2 or 3 axolotls.

Edit: the tank is also going by my window. Will this have any issues? I thought the natural light might be nice for my umbrella palms, but not be too harsh for the axolotls?
Good plan natural light is always good, put some floating plants in the tank for the Axolotls to play with. Remember some large flat stones for them to rest on.

Mine didn't have a lid and never jumped out. They are not frogs. But four-legged big fat lazy things.
Yep i never understood how a big blob with legs could jump out of the tank they are just too weak with tiny legs

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back